Program design: Ore system approach
- TGI-4 is a knowledge-based, thematic program that uses the best examples of ore systems from across Canada.
- Projects and activities are not centred in a geographic region. Instead, they are thematic and integrate data and knowledge from multiple mining camps across the country (see map).
- Scientific hypotheses underpin the program and define the critical knowledge gaps within ore systems.
TGI-4 uses an ore system approach to project definition. This approach will guarantee that the best-suited deposits are used to support the development of next generation of exploration-related geoscience knowledge and methods.
The following ore systems were identified by the TGI-4 program:
- lode gold systems
- nickel-copper-PGE-chrome systems
- intrusion-related systems (e.g. porphyry-style deposits)
- SEDEX systems
- volcanogenic massive sulphide systems
- uranium systems
- specialty metal systems (e.g. niobium, rare earth elements)
In addition to the ore systems, TGI-4 will also develop innovative exploration tools.