International Affairs promotes the Earth Sciences Sector’s international strategic objectives in geomatics and geosciences around the world. As such, it:
- coordinate and provide follow-up to the Sector’s international activities, and manages various international projects;
- provide strategic advice on international relations;
- facilitate incoming visits from foreign delegations and assists ESS in coordinating such visits;
- develop and implement a strategic framework for the management of the Sector’s international activities;
- promote Canadian expertise internationally and contributes to the development of export markets in partnership with the private sector; and
- ensure that the Sector’s international activities are in keeping with departmental and governmental international policy priorities.
Through the International Opportunities Service (IOS), ESS is able to support several projects in a number of developing countries, depending on their needs in geomatics and geosciences.