Chicoutimi - Of Montagnais origin, the name is traceable to shkoutimeau, meaning "the end of the deep water".
Jonquière - Marks the career of Jacques-Pierre de Taffanel, Marquis de la Jonquière, who served as Governor of New France from 1749 to 1752.
Source: Hamilton, William B. (1978): The Macmillan Book of Canadian Place Names Macmillan of Canada, Toronto. pp. 237, 249.
[Named] after General Sir John Coape Sherbrooke (1764-1830) Governor General of Canada, 1816-18; distinguished himself at Seringapatam, 1797; served in the Peninsula; Governor of Nova Scotia, 1811-16.
Source: White, James (1910): Place-Names in Quebec. Ninth Report of the Geographical Board of Canada, Part II, p. 213.
A descriptive which probably dates from the period of Champlain's explorations (the St. Maurice River has three branches at this point). The settlement was founded by Sieur La Violette in 1634.
Source: Hamilton, William B. (1978): The Macmillan Book of Canadian Place Names. Macmillan of Canada, Toronto, p. 287.
The name originated with the township. The old county of York (as the territory along the Ottawa River was once designated) was divided into townships named after districts in Yorkshire, England. The town, founded by Philemon Wright, was first called Wrightstown, but was renamed after the township in 1875.
Source: Hamilton, William B. (1978): The Macmillan Book of Canadian Place Names. Macmillan of Canada, Toronto, p. 247