Geographical Names of Saskatchewan

Prince Albert

The area was frequented by fur-traders from the late 18th century. In1776, Peter Pond, explorer and fur-trader, built the first trading poston the north shore of the river just west of the present site of PrinceAlbert.

The next important development was the arrival of Reverend James Nisbetand a party of settlers who arrived in 1866 and established aPresbyterian mission around which the village grew. Reverend Nisbetnamed it Prince Albert as a tribute to the consort of Queen Victoria.

Source: Russell, E.T. (1980): What's in a Name, 3rdedition, Western Producer Prairie Books, Saskatoon, p. 246.

Related Site:

Moose Jaw

There is a romantic version of the naming of Moose Jaw that goes like this:

A titled Lord from England was encamped on a small creek west of Reginain the early days engaged in a buffalo hunting expedition. One of the RedRiver carts used by the party broke down and the Englishmen repaired itwith a moose's jaw bone. Amazed at the dexterity of the white man theIndians called the place Moose Jaw.

This version is pretty well discredited on the grounds that the noblemancannot be identified; the name "Moose Jaw" appears in the Palliser (1857)and Settee (1861) journals before any titled travellers are known to havebeen in the area. Settee, an ordained Indian clergyman, calls it "MooseJaw Bone" creek. The more generally accepted version now is that thename was applied by Indians and derived for the configuration of the creek.

Source: Russell, E.T. (1980): What's in a Name, 3rd edition,Western Producer Prairie Books, Saskatoon, p. 208.

Related Site:

North Battleford

In 1905 when the Canadian Northern steel reached a point across the NorthSaskatchewan River from historic Battleford (the important town in thearea at the time), the post office department called the place selectedfor the new settlement, North Battleford). It caused quite a furore at the time. The Battleford residents vigorously protested the ruling of the postal authorities,claiming that the adoption of "their" name for the new townsite would draw trade away from their community. In this they were proven correct. The infant townsite ofNorth Battleford also protested. They wanted to be called Riverview.However, the postal department's decision stood.

By March 21, 1906, the population had reached 500 and the NorthBattleford was incorporated as a village. Four months later the villagebecame a town.

Source: Russell, E.T. (1980): What's in a Name, 3rd edition,Western Producer Prairie Books, Saskatoon, pp. 219-220.

Related Site: