Natural Resources Canada offers free ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager building energy benchmarking tools, information sessions, presentations and training webinars to help you better understand how to use the tool and get you started on the path toward improved energy performance.
Bookmark this page for new benchmarking training resources, and subscribe to our monthly newsletter, Heads Up: Building Energy Efficiency. Not only will Heads Up provide you with news about energy management in the commercial and institutional buildings sector, but it is also the best way to keep informed about upcoming training offerings and important updates about Portfolio Manager. See our Energy management training section for information on other energy management training.
Natural Resources Canada webinars
- New 1-100 ENERGY STAR score for ice/curling rinks – September 28, 2017
- Introductory “101” Training for ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager – October 12, 2017
- Introductory “201” Training for ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager – October 19, 2017
We have delivered a number of webinars on Portfolio Manager that can help you learn to use the tool. Recordings of the following webinars are available on our FTP (file transfer protocol) site.
For access to the recordings of the webinars, or to request a copy of the slides from any of these presentations, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- All New ENERGY STAR Score for Senior Care Communities and Residential Care Facilities in Canada ( March 8, 2016)
- New ENERGY STAR Score for Medical Offices in Canada (August 6, 2015)
- Introductory Training Session on ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager for Supermarkets and Food Stores in Canada (April 29, 2015)
- Release of the ENERGY STAR Score for Supermarkets and Food Stores in Canada (April 22, 2015)
- ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager 201 (November 12, 2014)
- ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager 101 (October 29, 2014)
- ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager Office Hours (Canada) – New Sharing Features (October 8, 2014)
- Portfolio Manager Benchmarking for Hospitals Part 2 (June 18, 2014)
- Portfolio Manager Benchmarking for Hospitals Part 1 (May 28, 2014)
- New ENERGY STAR Score for Hospitals (May 14, 2014)
If your organization would like a customized presentation or webinar, or you would like to speak to someone about Natural Resources Canada's energy benchmarking initiative, email email@example.com. We will work with you to customize and deliver a presentation or webinar to specifically address the needs of your organization or your target market.
An overview of energy benchmarking in the Canadian buildings sector [PDF - 2.43 MB]
An overview of how to get started with the tool, including adding a property, entering energy data and viewing results [PDF - 544 KB]
A complete listing of the 80+ property types available in Portfolio Manager [PDF - 63 KB]
A comprehensive guide featuring definitions of each property type to help you select the most appropriate type and the use details you'll need to enter to get an ENERGY STAR score (if applicable) [PDF - 131 KB]
A guide outlining the three ways of getting data into the tool: manual entry, bulk upload via spreadsheet, and automatic upload by a third party (such as your utility provider) via web services [PDF - 734 KB]
A step-by-step guide to sharing data with other Portfolio Manager users [PDF - 556 KB]
A step-by-step guide to sharing data with others by responding to a data request (often required for energy use competitions or reporting requirements) [PDF - 537 KB]
An overview of the standard reports available in the tool and instructions on how to use them [PDF - 325 KB]
An overview of the custom reporting options available in the tool and instructions on how to use them [PDF - 875 KB]
A complete list of all metrics available for inclusion in custom reports [PDF - 245 KB]
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency training resources
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency also has a number of tools and offerings to help you start using ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager. Visit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Training page for more information and resources.
- Date Modified: