There are many tools available today that can benchmark your energy consumption. However, a standard, free, online energy benchmarking system that provides more accurate and equitable building energy data offers a number of advantages to the Canadian buildings sector:
- A nation-wide system makes it easier for green building certification programs and other energy efficiency initiatives to collect standardized information and assess buildings consistently.
- A system that reflects the Canadian climate and energy production methods provides more realistic assessments of Canadian building performance.
- A standard system provides regional and national governments with aggregate trend data that can facilitate appropriate program and policy development.
The following list outlines some of the reasons why Portfolio Manager was chosen as the ideal standard benchmarking system for Canada.
- Is compatible with other energy benchmarking programs and routines. If you’re already benchmarking using another system, you can still benefit from the standard national data and comparisons offered by Portfolio Manager.
- Already enjoys widespread use.: The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Portfolio Manager It is considered the de facto standard for building energy benchmarking in the U.S. and by a large number of U.S. industry stakeholders and. An increasing number of Canadian stakeholders have also endorsed the tool, and more than 13,000 buildings in Canada are using it to benchmark energy use.
- Is easy to use. All you need to get started is basic energy consumption and building data.
- Is absolutely free to use.
- Is easy to access. Portfolio Manager is a web-based application, meaning that it does not require the purchase or installation of any dedicated software, works with any operating system, and is available through your web browser from any location with internet access.
- Applies to a wide array of building types.All types of commercial and institutional buildings - not just those that are best in class – can use Portfolio Manager to track energy use over time. Currently, six types of buildings in Canada can receive Canadian-specific 1-100 ENERGY STAR scores, but more than 80 other types of buildings can also benchmark against national energy use intensity values. New Canadian scores for other building types will be added on a progressive basis.
- Is useful for both existing buildings and design projects thanks to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Target Finder calculator.
- Uses actual data. Portfolio Manager's methodology uses actual building energy data derived from the Survey of Commercial and Institutional Energy Use, which is updated regularly, rather than a static model.
- Facilitates cross-border comparisons for organizations with holdings in both Canada and the United States.
Energy benchmarking with Portfolio Manager is the first step toward managing and reducing your energy consumption. But don’t take it from us — watch our video (7:54) and let key building sector stakeholders tell you why they use Portfolio Manager to support their energy benchmarking needs and how it can help your business too!
- Date Modified: