Already a licensed service organization?
Sign in to the members’ only resource centre to access administrative and learning materials, marketing tools and latest program updates.
What is a Service Organization?
A Service Organization is an independent organization licensed by NRCan to use the nationally-recognized EnerGuide Rating System, a standardized home energy performance rating tool.
Service Organizations work with builders and homeowners across Canada in assessing the energy performance and potential energy savings for homes, both during the design, construction and renovation stage.
They may also work with provinces, territories, municipalities, utility companies, and other organizations as part of their own home energy efficiency labelling and/or retrofit incentive programming.
While service organizations use NRCan’s official marks, trademarks, and software under a licencing agreement, they operate as independent businesses, and are not agents, partners, or employees of NRCan.
At all times, Service Organizations must adhere to the current version of the EnerGuide Rating System, the Administrative Procedure (Gigajoules - GJ), other procedural documents and the requirements of their Service Organization Licence agreement with NRCan.
Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) is accepting applications from eligible organizations to be licensed to use the residential energy efficiency assessment service known as the EnerGuide Rating System – GJ.
Want to become a Service Organization?
- Be an individual or legal entity incorporated or registered in Canada;
- Show proof of liability insurance;
- Have a minimum of 2 years’ experience and knowledge related to energy efficiency and building science in the residential housing sector; and
Employ Key Personnel in the organization such as Service Organization Manager(s), Quality Assurance Specialist(s), and Energy Advisor(s) who have successfully passed the following NRCan’s exams:
|Foundation Level Exam||Energy Advisor Exam||Quality Assurance Specialist Exam||Service Organization Manager Exam|
|Service Organization Manager||x|
|Quality Assurance Specialist||x||x||x|
Note - One individual can serve in more than one role except the Quality Assurance Specialist and the Energy Advisor. They cannot be the same individual.
Applicants must also attest to specific business practices to support the successful use of the EnerGuide Rating System.
How to request an application?
To obtain copies of the Service Organization Application Guide and the Application Form, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the deadline to apply?
There is no deadline to apply. Applications can be made at any time. NRCan does reserve the right to cancel this process at any time and without notice.
What happens to an Application?
After an application has been submitted to NRCan by email:
- An email will be sent by NRCan acknowledging receipt;
- NRCan will screen the application for completeness and review it against eligibility requirements. If the application is NOT COMPLETE, NRCan will return the incomplete application. Only duly completed applications will be accepted for review;
- NRCan will make reasonable efforts to inform the applicant of its decision within 20 business days from the date the complete application was received. The volume of applications received may affect NRCan’s intended response times; and
- NRCan will inform the applicants of the result of their applications. If successful, applicants will proceed with signing their licence agreements.
NRCan does not endorse specific products or services and does not assume responsibility for homeowners’ losses.
For any questions, please email email@example.com.
- Date Modified: