Guidelines for using the ENERGY STAR® Most Efficient mark
The ENERGY STAR Most Efficient mark is an extension of the ENERGY STAR brand. It is designed to identify and promote the most efficient and innovative of ENERGY STAR certified products.
This document lays out the rules for using the Most Efficient mark correctly. It must be used as a supplement to the more comprehensive Guidelines for the application and reproduction of the ENERGY STAR® name and symbol in Canada.
Using the ENERGY STAR Most Efficient mark
1. As a visual identifier
The mark may be used as a visual identifier on product literature, point-of-purchase (PoP) displays, websites and other information or marketing materiel. Utilities and energy efficiency programs can also use the mark as a visual identifier to encourage consumers to look for the most energy-efficient products.
- Highlight a product that has been recognized as ENERGY STAR Most Efficient.
- The mark may be resized, but the proportions must be maintained. For legibility in print, the ENERGY STAR symbol block within the mark is not to be reproduced smaller in width than 1.0 cm.
- A clear space of 1/3 the height of the mark should surround the mark at all times. No other graphic elements, such as text or images, can appear in this area. This spacing is mandatory since the mark may appear within materials using complex imagery, such as other marks, graphic devices and text.
- The mark should always appear in ENERGY STAR blue (100% cyan), whether on the Web or in print materials.
- Do not use the mark or name in association with products that have not been recognized as ENERGY STAR Most Efficient, including products with applications pending.
- Do not use the mark or name on products or product packaging.
- Do not use the mark or name to denote ENERGY STAR partnership or endorsement.
- Do not alter the lock up (relation of symbol to text) of the mark.
- Do not rotate the mark.
- Do not separate any of the mark’s elements.
- Do not violate the clear space of the mark.
- Do not display the mark in any colour other than ENERGY STAR blue (100% cyan).
- Do not use the mark and/or name on non-product specific promotional materials, stationery (e.g., letterhead, business cards), buildings, homes or vehicles.
2. In Text
When writing about products that are designated ENERGY STAR Most Efficient, please use the following language:
“Recognized as the Most Efficient of ENERGY STAR [YEAR]”.
This language can be used to highlight ENERGY STAR Most Efficient designated products on the Web and in print materials.
Example – preferred text on a retailer website
- ENERGY STAR Most Efficient products represent the year’s best of ENERGY STAR for energy efficiency and innovation.
- Products that are recognized as the Most Efficient of ENERGY STAR in [YEAR] reduce greenhouse gas emissions by meeting rigorous energy efficiency performance levels set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and for windows by Natural Resources Canada.
- [Company name] produces or sells a product that has been recognized as Most Efficient in [YEAR].
- [Product name] is designated as one of the Most Efficient ENERGY STAR certified products for [YEAR].
- Awarded the ENERGY STAR Most Efficient mark in [YEAR.
- [Product name] has been awarded ENERGY STAR Most Efficient for [YEAR].
- ENERGY STAR Most Efficient recognition.
- ENERGY STAR Most Efficient criteria.
- Recognized as the Most Efficient of ENERGY STAR in [YEAR].
- [Product name] has been recognized as the Most Efficient of ENERGY STAR in [YEAR] (application pending).
- [Company name], a company endorsed by Natural Resources Canada [or NRCan].
- Endorsed by Natural Resources Canada [or NRCan].
- Natural Resources Canada [or NRCan]-endorsed.
- A Natural Resources Canada [or NRCan] approved seller of.
- Natural Resources Canada [or NRCan]-approved.
- An ENERGY STAR [or Most Efficient] recommended product.
- An ENERGY STAR Most Efficient company.
- A Most Efficient company.
- Winner of the Most Efficient award.
- Most Efficient compliant [product].
- Most Efficient certified [product].
- Most Efficient rated [product].
- [Product name] has won the Most Efficient label.
NRCan and the EPA actively monitor the proper use of the ENERGY STAR name and marks, including the use of the ENERGY STAR Most Efficient mark.
- Print and online materials where the Certification Mark and preferred text (as written on the previous page) is placed next to products that have earned the ENERGY STAR Most Efficient mark do not need to be approved.
- NRCan can review any materials on request to ensure Participants are using the mark correctly.
- NRCan requests that Participants provide a copy of all uses of the ENERGY STAR Most Efficient mark for our records. Materials are to be emailed to your Account Manager or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following explains the general course of action for addressing mark violations:
- Anyone who misuses the marks will be contacted in writing or by telephone.
- A reasonable amount of time will be given to correct the error(s) per NRCan’s discretion. The time frame will be dependent upon the medium in which the violation appeared and the severity of the violation.
- Follow-up will be conducted to ensure that the error(s) has been corrected. Failure to make the required changes may result in withdrawal of recognition.
For more information
The ENERGY STAR name and symbol are administered and promoted in Canada by Natural Resources Canada and are registered in Canada by the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
- Date Modified: