Pipeline Safety Act Pipeline Claims Tribunal Regulations
Description of the objective:
Enabling Act: Pipeline Safety Act, which amended the National Energy Board Act and the Canada Oil and Gas Operations Act
The proposed regulations will support the potential establishment of a pipeline claims tribunal to settle claims arising from a major pipeline spill incident and where a pipeline operator was unwilling or unable to respond. The regulations would establish parameters for a potential tribunal including:
- Terms and conditions for the appointment of tribunal members;
- Conflict of interest provisions;
- Chairperson’s powers, duties and functions;
- Absence or incapacity of the Chairperson or a member;
- Replacing a member of the Tribunal;
- Hiring and terms and conditions of employment for tribunal staff; and
- General provisions to enable the tribunal to function.
Indication of business impacts:
There are no expected business impacts.
Public consultation opportunities:
As these regulations pertain to the potential establishment of a tribunal (in an exceptional scenario), timing for development of these regulations is to be confirmed. Prior to the draft regulations, stakeholders will be informed of engagement opportunities.
Per established process, the draft regulations would be pre-published in Part I of the Canada Gazette for public comment. Final regulations would be published in Part II of the Canada Gazette prior to coming into force.
Director, Energy Systems Management, Energy Sector
580 Booth Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0E4
- Date Modified: