Energy Efficiency Regulations
Air conditioner means a single-phase or three-phase central air conditioner that is a split-system and that has a cooling capacity of less than 19 kW (65,000 Btu/h).
Split-system heat pump means a single-phase or three-phase air-to-air heat pump that is a centrally ducted split-system and that has a cooling or heating capacity of less than 19 kW (65,000 Btu/h).
January 1, 2017
List of Compliant Models
|Energy Efficiency Standard
Air Conditioners (AC) and Heat pumps (HP) under 19 kW (65,000 Btu/h)
|Product||Minimum energy performance standard|
|AC other than small-duct and high-velocity – cooling||SEER = 13|
|HP other than small-duct and high-velocity – cooling||SEER = 14|
|HP other than small-duct and high-velocity – heating||HSPF V = 7.1|
|AC & HP – small-duct and high-velocity – cooling||SEER = 12|
|HP – small-duct and high-velocity – heating||HSPF V = 6.3|
SEER = Seasonal energy efficiency ratio – the total cooling of a central air conditioner or heat pump in Btu during its normal annual usage period for cooling, divided by the electric power usage in watt-hours during the same period
HSPF = Heating seasonal performance factor (Region V) – the total heating output of a heat pump during its normal annual usage period for heating, divided by the total electric power input in watt-hours during the same time period
Note: To compare U.S. energy efficiency levels with Canadian levels for heat pumps, HSPF V is equivalent to HSPF IV/1.15
Energy Efficiency Report Requirements
- product name (single-phase or three-phase, single-package central air conditioner or heat pump)
- brand name
- model number
- the name of the certification body or province whose verification mark will be on the product or its package
- Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI) classification
- phase of electric current
- cooling capacity in kW (Btu/h)
- heating capacity (if a heat pump) in kW (Btu/h)
- information that indicates whether the product is small-duct and high-velocity
- seasonal energy efficiency ratio (SEER)
- heating seasonal performance factor and the region for the factor (if a heat pump)
- the stage type the product has, namely, single-stage or multi-stage (if a heat pump)
- the system the product has, namely, mini-split, multi-split or ducted
Download the energy efficiency reporting template.
This document does not constitute part of the Energy Efficiency Act (Act) or its associated regulations. This document is an administrative document that is intended to facilitate compliance by the regulated party with the Act and its associated regulations. This document is not intended to provide legal advice regarding the interpretation of the Act or its associated regulations. If a regulated party has questions about their legal obligations or responsibilities under the Act or its associated regulations, they should seek the advice of legal counsel.
- Date Modified: