Any explosive that is to be imported into or manufactured, transported, possessed or used in Canada must appear on the List of Authorized Explosives or be covered by a permit, certificate or special authority issued by ERD for special tests or product trials.

Note that explosives include propellants, ammunition, fireworks, model rocket motors and toy pistol caps, as well as blasting explosives.

To have your products listed on the List of Authorized Explosives you must submit an application for authorization.

During the authorization process the explosive substances or article will be assigned a type, hazard category and a UN Number (i.e. consumer fireworks would be classified for transport as Fireworks, 1.4G, UN0336). This classification identifies the hazards posed by the explosive substance or article as packaged for transport.

Classification provided by other well-known competent authorities such as DOT (United States), BAM (Germany), HSE (United Kingdom), and Ineris (France) may be accepted by Canada. When a 1.4S classification is expected, copies of the test results may be requested. In some instances, the tests are insufficient and additional testing may be required to determine the most appropriate classification of the explosive.

The transport classification of an explosive can be determined by analogy to other similar explosives that are packaged in a similar fashion. In other instances, samples are required for transport classification testing. For fireworks articles, the default classification table published in the UN Manual – Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods is consulted.