In Canada you must be certified by Natural Resources Canada to acquire, store and use Display Fireworks and Special Effect Pyrotechnics.
For information regarding the various types of certificates available please refer to the Using Display Fireworks or Using Special Effect Pyrotechnics web pages for further details.
If you are applying for a fireworks operator certificate (Display Assistant or Pyrotechnician) for the first time you must:
- Be at least 18 years or older
- Successfully complete a safety and legal awareness course for Display Fireworks or Special Effect Pyrotechnics. Please contact the Explosives Regulatory Division for the current list of the certified course providers.
- Submit to the Explosives Regulatory Division:
- Application to obtain Fireworks Operator Certificate (Form F17-01)
- Proof of successful completion of safety and legal awareness course
- Initial Certification Fee of $100.00
- Recent Photo
There is a difference between Display Fireworks and Special Effect Pyrotechnics. Before attending a safety and legal awareness course and applying for a fireworks operator certificate, please ensure that you are attending the correct course and applying for the certificate for the articles you want to acquire, store and use.
- Display Fireworks are high-hazard firework articles designed for use by professionals. These articles include items such as aerial shells, cakes, roman candles, waterfalls, lances and wheels. This type of firework would be used for large fireworks displays that take place on Canada Day.
- Special Effect Pyrotechnics are high-hazard pyrotechnics articles designed for use by professionals. These articles include items such as gerbs, mines, comets and crossettes. These articles would be used in theatre productions, concerts and on film sets. Certification for pyrotechnics also includes special purpose pyrotechnics manufactured for the film and television industry.
If you are renewing or upgrading your certificate please refer to the Renewing or Upgrading your Fireworks Operator Certificate web page for information.
- Date Modified: