Information Archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats. Please "contact us" to request a format other than those available.
ecoENERGY for Renewable Heat
ecoENERGY for Renewable Heat is a $36-million program designed primarily for industry, business and institutions to expand the use of renewable energy for space heating and hot water. This program is part of the Government of Canada’s $4.1-billion ecoENERGY initiatives.
Using the energy of the sun and the earth to heat buildings and water not only helps businesses lower costs but also reduces the amount of harmful emissions produced. This four-year program will:
- increase the use of renewable thermal energy by industry, business and institutions;
- boost the amount of renewable thermal energy created for these sectors; and
- contribute to cleaner air by helping industry, business and institutions reduce their use of fossil-fuel energy.
The ecoENERGY for Renewable Heat Program is also supporting community organizations and utilities in testing ways to promote the deployment of solar water heating systems in the residential sector.
Water heating accounts for as much as a quarter of the average household’s energy consumption. A solar water heating system can meet up to 60 percent of the average family’s hot water needs and reduce household energy costs by as much as or even more than $300 a year — and all with zero emissions. In fact, a solar water heating system will reduce GHG emissions by an average of one tonne annually per household.
- ecoENERGY for Renewable Heat will pay up to 25 percent of the costs of purchasing and installing a solar water or air heating system for a qualifying business.
- ecoENERGY for Renewable Heat is helping 14 organizations offer solar water heating systems to the residential sector.
- ecoENERGY for Renewable Heat will also help the solar and geothermal industries develop the capacity to respond to increased demand with quality products by supporting the development of standards and certification; by promoting the adoption of these technologies in building codes and regulations; and by training energy designers, technicians and installers.
The program is scheduled to conclude on March 31, 2011.
For additional program information
Contact the ecoENERGY for Renewable Heat Program Web site at www.ecoaction.gc.ca/heat.
If you have questions about this program, inquire by e-mail at <email@example.com> or by fax at 613-943-6517.
Programs for Homeowners
ecoENERGY for Renewable Heat offers assistance for the installation of residential solar water heating systems through partners. To see if one of these partners covers your area, visit ecoACTION.gc.ca/heat and the links given there.
Media may contact:
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister
Natural Resources Canada
NRCan's news releases and backgrounders are available at www.nrcan.gc.ca/media/index-eng.php.
- Date Modified: