How to apply and what is required for initial Certification Examination
An application form (PDF, 35 kb) must be completed and submitted to the NDT Certifying Agency to confirm an NDT candidate's eligibility to undergo both written and practical examinations. The NDT candidate must include fees and all relevant information and documentation. To facilitate this task, the following details are provided:
- Fees - The procedures for the payment of registration and examination fees are explained, and the fees to be paid are shown in the fee schedules in the "Procedure for payment of fees" section.
- Identification Card Photo - NDT candidates registering with the NDT Certifying Agency for the first time must provide one photograph (black and white or colour) 3 cm x 2.5 cm in size. The NDT candidate will then be issued a laminated photo identification card. The photo card will be valid for a period up to six years and the renewal of this card will coincide with the three-year staggered certification renewal process.
- Educational Background - All NDT candidates must indicate their level of education on the application form. However, only Level 3 NDT candidates are required to provide documented evidence of education in the form of diplomas or transcripts. This is because the experience time required to establish the eligibility of Level 3 NDT candidates depends on the education level.
- NDT Training Courses - Training courses are mandatory and certificates or documentation of successful completion must be presented to the NDT Certifying Agency. A list of organizations that offer NDT training courses is available.
- Code of Conduct - To be eligible for certification, the NDT candidate must agree to abide by a code of ethics. This is done by signing the Code of Conduct Form.
- Eye Examination - NDT candidates shall provide evidence of satisfactory vision as determined by an ophthalmologist, optometrist or other recognized medical professional on our standard vision form.
Experience - When completing this section of the application, the candidate must identify each employer/company and provide a complete and thorough description of his/her work experience specific to the NDT method(s) in which one is requesting examination eligibility.
The candidate must also clearly identify the period of employment for each employer/company, the acquired NDT experience in months and/or weeks, and show the percentage of time engaged in the pertinent NDT method(s). See below to calculate experience credits.
To gain a credit for work experience, one must work under qualified supervision. Previously, NDT candidates were required to gain experience under the supervision of Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB) certified personnel. NDT candidates will now be allowed to gain experience under "qualified supervision." This will allow the NDT Certifying Agency flexibility to assess the degree of competence of the supervision and to accept experience under non-CGSB certified personnel. The supervisor's name, registration number, type of certification (if applicable), position title and organization must be identified in the reference section on page 3 of the application form.
The application and supporting documentation dealing with NDT experience must be signed by both the applicant and a witness, usually the immediate supervisor.
NDT experience may be acquired either before or after success in the qualification examination. If experience is sought after successful examination, the results of the examination shall remain valid for five years.
Candidates applying for Level 3 certification must, in addition to the aforementioned, provide an expanded résumé detailing experience.