The renewal process is as follows:
For candidates with the last name starting with the letters:
- G-M renew January 1, 2013 for 3 years
- N-Z renew January 1, 2014 for 3 years
- A-F renew January 1, 2015 for 3 years
The NDT Certifying Agency issues a notice of renewal, including an application form, to the NDT candidates due for renewal, three months prior to the expiry date. To receive this notice, it is important that the NDT Certifying Agency be advised of any change in mailing address.
Certifications Expiring December 31, 2012
NRCan is currently completing the processing of renewal requests for clients whose certifications will expire on December 31, 2012. This process should be completed by January 31, 2013.
Clients showing an expiry date of December 31, 2012, that have submitted valid renewal requests before December 31, 2012, will continue to hold valid certification until January 31, 2013. Please Note: clients need to send their renewal forms in before December 31, 2012; for all requests that are submitted after the expiry date, a $100 late fee will be charged.
Please note: All personnel appearing on the Certified Personnel list are currently certified even though they may not have received their updated certification card from NRCan.
APPLYING FOR RENEWAL
To apply for certification renewal, you must submit to the NDT Certifying Agency the four forms enclosed with this notice Renewal Notice.
- Renewal Application (HTML) (PDF, 188 kb)
- Eye Examination Report (HTML) (PDF, 98 kb)
- Code of Conduct (HTML) (PDF, 123 kb)
Along with the appropriate renewal fee.
Attestations: It is the employer's, supervisor's and sponsor's responsibility to verify the accuracy of their employee's employment, to ensure that the employee has annually met the visual acuity requirements, and to verify the authenticity of the personal photograph the employee has submitted.
* Please note that ALL 3 attestation sections need to be completed. Applicants cannot sign for themselves.
For the required signatures, the same person(s), appropriately qualified for each of these definitions, may sign for one or more of these roles. Unemployed applicants may complete the ‘Unemployment form for renewal’ and are only exempt from two signatures on the attestation form (the employer and supervisor sections) however, still require a qualified personnel to sign the attestation form to attest to your working using your indicated NDT methods within the time period of concern. For more clarification for special circumstances, please contact the NDT CA directly.
Type of Payment: The following forms of payment are accepted by the NDT Certifying Agency: company cheque, money order, MasterCard or Visa. Company Cheques and money orders are to be made payable to the “Receiver General for Canada”.
NO PERSONAL CHEQUES WILL BE ACCEPTED.
If paying by credit card, you must PRINT the name identified on the credit card, card number, expiry date and amount.
The renewal fees for this three-year term are as follows:
2 methods $255,
3 methods $345,
4 methods $405, and
5 methods $435.
- Please Note: Renewal applications are subject to current NRCan policies and procedures. Processed payment does not complete or guarantee the renewal process. Renewal of certification is issued only after completion, verification and NRCan approval of application. Late renewals may require additional information, documentation and/or verification. As renewal applications are processed in arrival sequence, processing times may vary depending on the volume of applications received and are not guaranteed. Incomplete documentation or complexity of routine verifications and checks may also lead to longer processing times.
- There will be no renewal fee applied to initial certification and/or recertification acquired in a NDT method from January 1st to December 31st 2012.
Instructions for Eye Examination Report Form (PDF, 97.7 kb):
This form must be completed by medically recognized personnel (ophthalmologist, optometrist, physician, nurse, etc.) This must be dated January 1, 2012, or later. No other types of vision examination forms will be acceptable.
To avoid a lapse of certification after December 31, 2012, please ensure that your renewal application is received by this office no later than December 01, 2012.
Renewal Policy for NDT Experience
1. POLICY SUBJECT
Policy on the interpretation and application of the experience clause for the renewal of certification is described in paragraph 10.4b) of the Canadian General Standards Board Standard CAN/CGSB-48.9712-2006 for the certification of non-destructive testing personnel. It states:
"continued satisfactory work activity, relevant to the certification, without significant interruption*"
*significant interruption signifies an absence or a change of activity that prevents the certified individual from practicing the duties corresponding to his/her level in the method and the industrial sector(s) for which he/she is certified, for a continuous period exceeding one year.
2. POLICY OBJECTIVE
The objective of this policy is to promote a better understanding, among candidates and the NDT Certifying Agency staff, of what constitutes acceptable work experience in order to be considered for renewal of certification.
In the judgement of the NDT Certifying Agency, "work activity relevant to the certification" is taken in the broad sense. Thus, any work activity or experience gained during the certificate's period of validity that contributes to maintaining or improving an individual's knowledge required to test, detect, locate, identify and evaluate discontinuities within an engineering material using the particular non-destructive testing method may be credited when evaluating an application for renewal of certification.
Examples of work activities that may be considered as valid for renewal of certification are:
- work in other non-destructive testing methods in which certification is held,
- work that increases an individual's knowledge of material properties and metal processes,
- work demonstrating non-destructive testing equipment that requires setting up and operating the equipment, and
- work involving the management of non-destructive testing services where knowledge of the applicability and limitations of non-destructive testing is required.
This policy applies to all certification renewal applicants and to the NDT Certifying Agency staff.
5. POLICY REQUIREMENTS
A candidate applying for renewal of certification is responsible for submitting a properly completed renewal application that contains a signed attestation of experience verified by the employer, supervisor and sponsor.
Certification status becomes inactive if a candidate fails to renew by the certificate expiry date.
Up to two years after the certification expiry date, a candidate’s certification status may be reactivated by submitting a properly completed renewal form, accompanied by a proof-of-work-experience form and payment of a $100 late renewal fee in addition to the regular renewal fee.
If the renewal application is submitted more than two years after the certification expiry date, a candidate may reactivate his/her certification status through successful recertification. Successful completion of the initial certification process is required if the candidate fails recertification.