Contribution Projects Funded by GeoConnections:
GeoConnections is an ongoing program with the mandate and responsibility to lead the evolution the Canadian Geospatial Data Infrastructure (CGDI) with standards-based technologies and operational policies for data sharing and integration to address key economic, social and environmental priorities. Through regular Calls for Proposals, GeoConnections is co-funding the development of innovative adoption and further development of the CGDI by eligible recipients.
Project: Geospatial Mapping for Sustainable Cities: Creating a National Urban Geomatics Information Network for Smart Cities in Canada
Lead Proponent: International Institute for Sustainable Development
Project Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
GeoConnections Contribution: $40,021
Project Total: $61,888
Theme: Increase access of municipal indicators and geospatial data that supports effective decision making to a broad user base.
Project Objective and Expected Results
The primary objective of this project is to increase access of city-specific geospatial data that supports effective decision making to a broad user base including non-governmental organizations, educators and teachers, community leaders, private industry and the media.
The project plans to:
- Develop a nationwide network of practitioners with increased knowledge of geospatial data and indicator use:
- Work with collaborators to provide input into the development of a web-based tool;
- Develop a streamlined process to convert spatial and tabular data from public, private and charitable sectors into a standardized format with institutional arrangements and purpose-built software tools:
- Develop a web-based tool for municipalities to integrate and communicate spatial data to interested parties;
- Develop a tool that will increase the interactive nature of maps; and
- Increase the public's use of the data.
The expected result is the development of a spatial data infrastructure tool, as a proof of concept, with end-user communities training, testing and implementation in Winnipeg (MB), Peterborough (ON), Bridgewater and Cumberland County (NS).
- Date Modified: