Management Services and International Affairs Division is part of the Strategic Policy and Operations Branch, which supports Earth Sciences Sector (ESS) by providing advice on strategic issues as well as coordination and implementation of key earth sciences initiatives.
Management Services and International Affairs Division works in four main business areas: International Affairs, Business Management, Strategic Planning and Performance Measurement on International Activities and International Opportunities Service (IOS).
International Affairs promotes the Earth Sciences Sector’s international strategic objectives in geomatics and geosciences around the world. As such, it:
- coordinate and provide follow-up to the Sector’s international activities, and manages various international projects;
- provide strategic advice on international relations;
- facilitate incoming visits from foreign delegations and assists ESS in coordinating such visits;
- develop and implement a strategic framework for the management of the Sector’s international activities;
- promote Canadian expertise internationally and contributes to the development of export markets in partnership with the private sector; and
- ensure that the Sector’s international activities are in keeping with departmental and governmental international policy priorities.
On behalf of Earth Sciences Sector (ESS), the Business Management unit develops, administers and coordinates business opportunities and processes (both domestic and international) in support of ESS collaborative work and cost-recovery activity with both government and non-government organizations. Specifically, it:
- develops and coordinates ESS collaborative and cost-recovery projects;
- reviews all business agreements as well as Memoranda of Understanding;
- ensures the management of ESS intellectual property, including disclosure, protection, and commercialization;
- provides ESS with expertise and advice on licence negotiation, development and use;
- monitors user fees and cost recovery activities; and
- establishes business policy and guidelines.
International Opportunities Service (IOS)
The International Opportunities Services’ goals is to provide seed funding for pilot or demonstration projects aimed at promoting Canadian technologies and know-how to target markets, and to build the capacity of developing countries so as to facilitate their adoption of Canadian standards, technologies and services. To meet these objectives, the IOS:
- conduct sustainable development projects that provide the Canadian earth sciences community with business opportunities;
- support capacity building in developing countries;
- provide Canadian public and private partners with the help they need to develop specific projects for testing geomatics and geosciences products and technologies internationally; and
- promote new technologies developed by ESS.
Strategic Planning and Performance Measurement on International Activities
Strategic Planning and Performance Measurement on International Activities provides strategic guidance and overall coordination for ESS international initiatives, as well as evaluation of Management Services and International Affairs Division’s own activities. In particular it:
- coordinate the Sector’s annual International Activity Plan;
- develop the ESS International Development Strategy; and
- monitor and evaluate Management Services and International Affairs Division activities.
- Date Modified: