ENERGY STAR® Multifamily High-Rise Pilot Program
The ENERGY STAR® Multifamily High-Rise Pilot Program for new construction is a five-year certification program in Ontario that recognizes buildings that are at least 15% more energy-efficient than those built to the provincial energy code and meet other program requirements.
Learn more about the pilot program. Are you:
- a municipal planner or developer ?
- an occupant?
- the owner of a new building?
- interested in becoming a licensed builder?
- a licensed professional interested in participating?
Building better communities
Together we are working to reduce consumers’ energy costs, contribute to Canada’s 2030 greenhouse gas emissions reduction targets, and create healthy communities. This program is an excellent opportunity to demonstrate ongoing commitment to transitioning the new construction market towards the development of high quality energy efficient buildings.
Contact the program’s licensed service organization for further information on how the ENERGY STAR certification can contribute to sustainable development in your community.
Watch this video to find out more
What are the benefits to occupants and owners?
As an occupant
ENERGY STAR certified buildings are simply more comfortable and provide better indoor living. For example, there are fewer drafts due to better air sealing and high performance windows. Properly-sized HVAC systems ensure effective heating, cooling and ventilation in all parts of the living space.
Unit owners can enjoy higher resale values when they sell their units.
As a building owner
Being more energy-efficient can lead to financial savings now and in the future. ENERGY STAR certified buildings can be counted on to deliver what is claimed because they have been tested and verified by qualified professionals according to program standards.
ENERGY STAR Certification could increase building value and generate more income when compared to similar buildings. It can help lower operating costs and increase rental value and occupancy rates.
Let us tell you about the features
The more ENERGY STAR certified buildings there are, the greater the overall benefits to Canadians. Their designs have features that can lead to asset longevity, thereby saving material and costly repairs. They create healthy neighbourhoods for Canadians to live in.
Typical features of an ENERGY STAR certified building:
- high performing windows and better insulation that improve occupant comfort
- improved air tightness that reduces drafts and exterior noise
- an efficient heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) system to reduce indoor pollutants, control humidity, and provide a healthier indoor environment
- ENERGY STAR certified lighting and appliances that use less energy
Interested in becoming a licensed builder?
ENERGY STAR is a trusted brand in Canada and a voluntary industry-government collaboration that is transforming the way Canadians use energy.
Benefits to you as a builder:
- ENERGY STAR is widely recognized, which makes it a significant marketing opportunity for builders of Multifamily High Rise certified buildings.
- Builders have access to expertise in building science, training, and ongoing support as you build so that the result is an ENERGY STAR certified building.
Only builders who have been licensed by the Government of Canada can promote themselves as ENERGY STAR builders and can apply to have their buildings ENERGY STAR certified.
As a Licensed Professional
Did you know that newly constructed multifamily high-rise buildings can earn ENERGY STAR certification in Ontario?
A building designed to meet ENERGY STAR® certification requirements will deliver the benefits modelled in the design, along with the established ENERGY STAR® brand.
Interested in participating?
You must be a Professional Engineer or Registered Architect in good standing and possess a current license. You should also have:
- A license in a discipline related to residential and/or commercial building systems (e.g. mechanical engineering or commercial/residential architecture).
- Working knowledge of building systems, ASHRAE Standard 90.1, ASHRAE Standard 62.1, and ASHRAE Standard 62.2.
Build a better city with ENERGY STAR and register for training now!
Learn more about energy efficiency in your home
A variety of ENERGY STAR certified products such as lighting, appliances, or air conditioners save you money by using less energy:
- High performing windows, lighting and appliances
- Energy-efficient heating systems
- Energy-efficient cooling systems
- Whole-home ventilation systems
- ENERGY STAR certified products
The ENERGY STAR name and symbol are trademarks registered in Canada by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and are administered and promoted by Natural Resources Canada.
- Date modified: