Become an energy advisor

Already an energy advisor?

Sign in to the members-only resource centre to access administrative and training materials, marketing tools and the latest program updates.

Energy efficiency experts for the housing industry

As an energy advisor, using the EnerGuide Rating System (ERS), you will work with a service organization in your region to assess the energy performance and potential energy savings for homes during the design, construction, and renovation stage. You will provide advice to homeowners, and can also work with builders who want to improve the energy efficiency of their homes.

While energy advisors and service organizations use NRCan’s official marks, trademarks, and software under a licencing agreement, they operate as independent businesses, and are not agents, partners, or employees of NRCan. As well, NRCan does not endorse any builder or services of any energy advisor/service organization, or any specific product, and accepts no liability in the selection of builders, materials, products, or performance of workmanship.

Add energy advisor to your qualifications

Energy advisors must show knowledge and experience in areas such as:

  • EnerGuide Rating System 
  • Residential construction practices for low-rise housing
  • Energy efficiency renovation practices
  • Building science
  • Basic arithmetic, geometry and computers skills
  • Data collection requirements
  • Energy simulation modeling using HOT2000, and
  • Good client relations

The process to become an energy advisor varies depending on which ERS is used – ERS v.15 which provides a gigajoule rating of the house or the 0 – 100 scale that provides an energy efficiency score of a home between that range.

To date, many provinces have transitioned to the ERS v.15; find out which version is being used in your region.

Registering under ERS v. 15

To register as an energy advisor to deliver services under ERS v.15, energy advisor candidates must demonstrate proficiency by:

  1. Passing the Foundation Level exam,
  2. Passing the Energy Advisor exam,
  3. Being affiliated with a service organization
The Foundation Level exam and the Energy Advisor exam are hosted by an independent organization and are taken at proctored testing centres across Canada. Each exam consists of a competency profile that was created to detail the requisite skills, knowledge and abilities for the position. These competency profiles are used as the basis for the development of the exams and identify the topics that will be on the respective exams.
Also in support of this is the Candidate Exam Handbook that contains information on:
  • the exam development process,
  • how to prepare for the exams,
  • how to register for and pay fees to take an exam,
  • the process on exam day, and
  • the Candidate Statement of Understanding.

The exam registration site is located at, this site also includes a list of exam centre locations and the Candidate Exam Handbook.

Energy advisor candidates can:

Registering under EnerGuide Rating System 0-100

Regions that have not transitioned to the new ERS v.15 gigajoule scale still use the EnerGuide Rating System 0-100 rating scale.

To become an energy advisor, contact a service organization for existing or new homes in your area. The service organization will show you how to qualify. Once your training is complete, the service organization will ask NRCan to register you as an energy advisor.

The benefits of a new skillset

As an energy advisor, you will gain valuable new expertise, and be at the forefront of energy-efficient homebuilding techniques. Canadian homeowners will turn to you to help them improve the energy efficiency of their homes and save on utility bills and builders will rely on you to help them design energy-efficient homes to strict industry standards.

For both rating systems, the service organization must be involved in the energy advisor candidate qualification and registration process, but for ERS v.15, the candidates can take the exams before contacting a service organization.

Find a licensed service organization in your area.