Buy ENERGY STAR® certified electronics to save you money!
Did you know that your home electronics and communication devices, such as TVs, modems, DVD and Blu-ray players, cable/internet TV boxes, docking stations, speakers, computers, tablets and phones account for increasing amounts of electricity in Canadian households each year?
A 2011 Natural Resources Canada study found that entertainment and home office equipment alone accounted for more than 20% of electricity used in non-electrically heated homes. And energy use trends indicate that Canadian households own almost 160% more electronics than they did ten years ago!
ENERGY STAR certified electronics have special features to cut down on active and stand-by energy use. So as your electronics purchases increase, your home energy bill won’t! Make the switch to ENERGY STAR certified electronics to cut your electricity bill and reduce your carbon footprint.
When buying electronics, it’s important to remember the cost of energy to operate a product over its lifetime is just as important as its purchase price.
The following ENERGY STAR certified electronics are available in Canada.
Click on each product to learn more.
- Audio/video products
- Cable, satellite, and telecom service provider's set-top boxes
- Cordless telephones
- Digital signage
- Internet (VoIP) phones
- MP3 speaker docks (audio/video products)
- Soundbars (audio/video products)
- Streaming media players
Find certified products using the ENERGY STAR Product Finder. (Note: you will be redirected to the U.S. ENERGY STAR website. Click “Canada” as your market).
Electronics that are regulated
Canada’s Energy Efficiency Regulations establish minimum performance standards for energy efficiency and help eliminate the least efficient products from the Canadian marketplace.
See more information about The Regulations that help eliminate the least efficient products from the Canadian market.
- Learn how to stream videos smarter. See our infographic on streaming media.
- Cut back on “standby” power consumption by using “smart” power bars or unplugging infrequently-used items. Learn more about standby power.
- Give your energy bill a vacation! If you’re going on vacation, take a few minutes before you leave to unplug your electronics to prevent unnecessary power loss.
- Visit individual product pages for more helpful tips.
- See our list of participating ENERGY STAR manufacturers and retailers.
Tools to find energy efficient electronics
- The easiest way to identify efficient electronics is to look for the ENERGY STAR symbol. All ENERGY STAR certified products are tested to meet strict efficiency specifications and are certified by an independent third party. They perform the same as or better than standard products without compromising performance in any way.
- The “ENERGY STAR Most Efficient” designation is offered each year to products that are “the best of the best” – the top energy performers in their class. Learn more about ENERGY STAR Most Efficient.
The ENERGY STAR name and symbol are trademarks registered in Canada by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and are administered and promoted by Natural Resources Canada.