Buy ENERGY STAR® to save you money!
An ENERGY STAR certified computer uses 25% – 40% less energy, on average, than a standard model. Desktops, integrated desktops, notebook (laptop) computers, workstations, small-scale servers, and thin clients are all eligible to earn the ENERGY STAR, and those that do are now more efficient than ever. Pair your computer with an ENERGY STAR certified printer to save you even more energy. Saving energy saves money and reduces your carbon footprint.
- Efficient internal or external power supplies to ensure energy savings in all modes, including "off".
- Power management features put your computer into a low-power "sleep" mode after a designated period of inactivity.
- Those with strong network capability do not lose their network connections when in "sleep" mode, which helps protect against data loss.
Start your research using the ENERGY STAR Product Finder tool to find and compare certified computers (NOTE: you will be redirected to the US ENERGY STAR website.)
- Consider buying a notebook/laptop, which are designed for higher energy efficiency due to their size and portability.
- Activate "eco" mode to minimize energy use and make your laptop computer battery last longer.
- Turn off your desktop computer and peripherals (like speakers and your monitor) at the surge protector when you're not using them to save energy wasted by background activity and standby power.
- Don’t use a screen saver. Using a screen saver not only draws power for the monitor, it can also keep the computer from shutting down.
The ENERGY STAR Promise
All ENERGY STAR certified products are tested to meet strict efficiency specifications and are certified by an independent third party. They perform the same as or better than standard products without compromising performance in any way.
The ENERGY STAR name and symbol are trademarks registered in Canada by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and are administered and promoted by Natural Resources Canada.
- Date modified: