Gas-fired unit heaters
Energy Efficiency Regulations
Gas-fired unit heater, a self-contained, automatically controlled, vented, gas-burning appliance that distributes warmed air without the use of ducts and that has an input rate of not more than 2931 kW (10 000 000 Btu/h).
Manufactured on or after August 8, 2008
For models manufactured prior, refer to the Regulations
Energy efficiency regulations by province
Some provinces also have their own energy efficiency regulations for many of the federally regulated products – find out which ones!
Energy efficiency standard
Energy performance test standard for gas-fired unit heaters
Thermal efficiency must be at least 80% at the maximum heat input nominal capacity, and must be equipped with an intermittent ignition device and:
- a power-vented system
- an automatic vent damper
- an automatic flue damper
Energy efficiency report requirements
- name of product
- brand name
- model number
- name of the certification body or province whose verification mark will be on the product or its package
- whether a mathematical model as defined in the Regulations was used to generate any of the information provided below
- fuel type: propane or natural gas
- type of ignition system the product uses
- type of venting the product uses: power-vented system, automatic vent damper or automatic flue damper
- maximum heat input and output nominal capacities in kW
- thermal efficiency when at its maximum heat input nominal capacity
- electricity consumption in kWh when at its maximum heat input nominal capacity
- if the product is a modulating or staged control gas-fired unit heater:
- reduced heat input and output nominal capacities in kW, and
- electricity consumption in kWh when at its reduced heat input nominal capacity
Download the energy efficiency reporting template.
This document does not constitute part of the Energy Efficiency Act (Act) or its associated regulations. This document is an administrative document that is intended to facilitate compliance by the regulated party with the Act and its associated regulations. This document is not intended to provide legal advice regarding the interpretation of the Act or its associated regulations. If a regulated party has questions about their legal obligations or responsibilities under the Act or its associated regulations, they should seek the advice of legal counsel.
- Date modified: