Energy Efficiency Regulations
Household oil-fired boiler, a boiler that is intended for application in a low pressure steam, or hot water central heating system, has an input rate of less than 87.92 kW (300 000 Btu/h) and that is either exclusively oil-fired, or capable of being fired, at the choice of the user, by either oil or another fuel.
Manufactured on or after September 1, 2010 and before January 15, 2021
For models manufactured prior, refer to the Regulations
Compliant product models
Oil-fired boilers - household as listed on NRCan’s searchable database
ASHRAE 103-2007 or CAN/CSA-P.2-13
Energy efficiency regulations by province
Some provinces also have their own energy efficiency regulations for many of the federally regulated products – find out which ones!
Energy efficiency standard
|Energy performance standard for household oil-fired boilers|
|Household oil-fired boilers that are intended for low pressure steam systems||≥ 82%||
|Household oil-fired boilers that are intended for hot water systems||≥ 84%||
|Household oil-fired boilers that are intended for hot water systems and have tankless domestic water heating coils||≥ 84%||
|Household oil-fired boilers that are intended for hot water systems and do not have tankless domestic water heating coils||≥ 84%||
No continuously burning pilot light
AFUE = Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency
Energy efficiency report requirements
- name of product
- brand name
- model number
- name of the certification body or province whose verification mark will be on the product or its package
- whether a mathematical model as defined in the Regulations was used to generate any of the information provided below
- type of boiler system: hot water or low pressure steam
- maximum heat input and output nominal capacities, in kW (Btu/h)
- annual fuel utilization efficiency
- information that indicates whether the product has tankless domestic water heating coils
- type of automatic water temperature adjustment device the product has, if any
- power burner motor’s energy consumption (PE), expressed in kilowatts (kW)
- water pump’s electrical energy input rate (BE), expressed in kilowatts (kW)
- average annual electric energy consumption (Eae), expressed in kilowatts hours (kWh)
Download the energy efficiency reporting template.
This document does not constitute part of the Energy Efficiency Act (Act) or its associated regulations. This document is an administrative document that is intended to facilitate compliance by the regulated party with the Act and its associated regulations. This document is not intended to provide legal advice regarding the interpretation of the Act or its associated regulations. If a regulated party has questions about their legal obligations or responsibilities under the Act or its associated regulations, they should seek the advice of legal counsel.