Language selection


Zero Emission Vehicle Infrastructure Program – Before you apply


The Request for Proposals (RFP) that targets projects in multi-unit residential buildings, workplaces and for light-duty vehicle fleets only is now closed. NRCan will target having funding decisions by August 2020.

Get your Application Package!

By completing the Application Package Request Form, you will automatically receive the Applicant's Guide, the Application Form (Word and Excel documents) and the template letters.

Make sure that you can demonstrate that your project meets all the mandatory requirements of the program.

Mandatory Criteria: Applicants must address all of the criteria below in their project proposals and provide supporting information requested by the program. The description of the individual criteria below are available in the Applicant's Guide.

  1. The Project must:
    • Be located in Canada;
    • Be a permanent installation (mounted or fixed models);
    • Be new and purchased equipment (not leased);
    • Be for a new installation or expansion of an existing installation (not for the replacement of an existing installation);
    • Increase localized charging opportunities in multi-unit residential buildings, workplaces and/or for light-duty vehicle fleets;
    • For electric vehicle charging infrastructure projects, include a minimum of 20 chargers. For Level 2 chargers, each connector can count as a unit towards the minimum of 20 chargers if each connector can charge a vehicle at the same time.
      • Other proprietary connector types must represent a maximum of 75% of all charging connectors installed at the same project site. The remaining balance (25% or more) must be universal charging connectors (J1772, J1772 Combo, and CHAdeMO) of the same category (i.e. Level 2 or fast-charging station);
    • For hydrogen refuelling infrastructure projects, the station must be capable of dispensing hydrogen at 700 bar minimum.
    • The work performed must be in compliance with all applicable local codes (for example, building and electrical) and bylaws (for example, zoning and parking);
    • Assuming funding decisions (letters of conditional approval) will be released in August 2020, the project timeline must show completion within 24 monthsFootnote * for charging infrastructure and within 30 monthsFootnote * for hydrogen refuelling infrastructure. Applicants of successful projects will have six (6) months after the date of the letter of conditional approval to sign a contribution agreement.
  2. The project must meet the following technology eligibility criteria:
    • Be certified for use in Canada (e.g. CSA, UL, Interlink) and be commercially available.
    • Include a minimum of 20 charging connectors of the following types:
      • SAE J1772 standard (Level 2 (208/240 V)
      • SAE J1772 Combo (for fast chargers)
      • CHAdeMO (for fast chargers)
      • Other proprietary connector types (See section 1.6 of the Applicant’s Guide for additional requirements with respect to other proprietary connector types).
    • Be connected as defined in Section 1.1.1 of the Applicant’s Guide.
  3. The applicant must demonstrate at least 50% of secured funding (firm) of their share of the total project costs.
  4. For EV charger projects that increase the electrical load by more than 50kW , demonstrate that the utility has been engaged and is aware of your project.
  5. The applicant must demonstrate that that they own the lands, have access to the lands or have the capacity to obtain access to the sites where the project will be built as well as the authority to build infrastructure for the intended use.

Earn merit points by meeting the Evaluation Criteria

Project proposals that meet all the mandatory criteria will then be reviewed and point-rated based on the following merit criteria. Each proposal will then be ranked based on the merit score.

  • Project rationale and background (business case);
  • Technical details of the project;
  • Indigenous business participation;
  • Project readiness (including capacity to deliver projects; project site readiness; and increased secured project financing);
  • Signage,visibility and outreach;
  • Operation and maintenance plan

Make sure you:

  • Complete your proposal using the Program’s Application template (6. Application Package);
  • Include all required supporting documents;
  • Verify your proposal against the Supporting Documentation Checklist in the Application Form;
  • Sign the Applicant's Attestation; and
  • Submit your proposal

It is highly recommended to submit the complete application well in advance of the submission deadline (by 23:59 Eastern Time, June 11, 2020).

Any questions?

Visit our FAQs to read the Frequently Asked Questions or email us at:

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: