Natural Resources Canada recognizes Canadian facilities that achieve energy intensity reductions with the ENERGY STAR® Challenge for Industry program. Take the Challenge to reduce your facility’s energy intensity by 10% within 5 years. Download the 2-page overview (PDF, 311 KB) to share with your management, colleagues and staff.
If you are new to industrial energy management or are looking for a systematic guide to do-it-yourself energy savings, download the Energy Management Guidelines (PDF, 1.05 MB).
What are the benefits?
Participate in the Challenge to:
- see direct savings resulting from increasing energy efficiency
- increase energy management visibility
- engage all business divisions (not only the energy-intensive ones)
- build an energy management culture in your organization
- demonstrate leadership by making a commitment to sustainability and clean growth
- be recognized (if you meet the eligibility criteria)
Is my facility eligible?
To be eligible for recognition, a facility must:
- register as a Canadian Industry Partnership for Energy Conservation (CIPEC) Leader
- have at least 50% of its energy use in manufacturing or research and development
- establish and maintain a file with all relevant energy data from your facility
- submit proof that your facility achieved a 10% reduction in energy intensity within a 5 year period using our Statement of Energy Improvement template
How do I apply?
- Contact us at ENERGYSTAR-Industry@canada.ca to request application instructions. You will receive a registration form and the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry Participant Handbook.
- Complete and submit the registration form to us.
- Once you have submitted the form, you have up to five years to meet your energy intensity reduction goal. If you meet it sooner, let us know by sending us an email. A one-year period of energy intensity reduction is required. There is no penalty for not achieving the goal in the five-year period but you will need to register again to restart your participation in the Challenge.
- To apply for recognition, a facility needs a year’s worth of energy intensity data to compare to the baseline. When you have this data, send us the following completed documents:
- Recognition Application form
- Statement of Energy Improvement, which reports the data
- P. Eng. Verification Checklist
How long will it take to process my application?
Processing times apply only to properly completed applications submitted by email.
Our standard is to process applications within 30 business days.
There are currently no delays in processing applications.
What else can I do?
See which facilities have taken the Challenge
The facility that has most recently taken the Challenge is listed first.
|Facility||Company||City||Province / Territory||Baseline Year|
|Windsor Assembly||Fiat Chrysler Automobiles||Windsor||ON||2018|
|Brampton Assembly||Fiat Chrysler Automobiles||Brampton||ON||2018|
|Etobicoke Casting||Fiat Chrysler Automobiles||Etobicoke||ON||2018|
|Brockville 501 Tape||3M Canada||Brockville||ON||2018|
|Brockville PSD||3M Canada||Brockville||ON||2018|
|Celanese Canada ULC||Celanese||Edmonton||AB||2018|
|Morden Manufacturing||3M Canada Company||Morden||MB||2018|
|Perth 301 Scotch-Brite||3M Canada||Perth||ON||2018|
|Perth 302 Tape||3M Canada||Perth||ON||2018|
|Winpak Ltd.||Winpak Division||Winnipeg||MB||2017|
|CAMI Assembly||General Motors Company||Ingersoll||ON||2017|
|Oshawa Stamping||General Motors Company||Oshawa||ON||2017|
|London Oxford||3M Canada Company||London||ON||2017|
|Cascades Containerboard Packaging - Cabano||Cascades Canada||Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac||QC||2016|
|Cascades Tissue Group - Candiac||Cascades Canada||Candiac||QC||2016|
|Cascades Containerboard Packaging - Kingsey Falls||Cascades Canada||Kingsey Falls||QC||2016|
|Cascades Forma-Pak||Cascades Canada||Kingsey Falls||QC||2016|
|Cascades Tissue Group - Kingsey Falls||Cascades Canada||Kingsey Falls||QC||2016|
|Cascades Tissue Group - Lachute||Cascades Canada||Lachute||QC||2016|
|Cascades Paper - Kingsey Falls||Cascades Canada||Kingsey Falls||QC||2016|
|Cascades Containerboard Packaging - Mississauga||Cascades Canada||Mississauga||ON||2016|
|Cascades Containerboard Packaging - Trenton||Cascades Canada||Trenton||ON||2016|
See who has achieved the Challenge
These sites have achieved the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry goal of a 10% or greater improvement in energy efficiency within 5 years. The most recent site to achieve the Challenge for Industry is listed first.
|Facility||Company||City||Province / Territory||Period||Reduction|
|Windsor Assembly||Fiat Chrysler Automobiles||Windsor||ON||2015-2018||27.4%|
|St. Catharines Glendale Avenue||General Motors Company||St. Catharines||ON||2017-2019||11.2%|
The ENERGY STAR name and symbol are trademarks registered in Canada by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and are administered and promoted by Natural Resources Canada.