Coming Soon: Ontario Homeowners – Beginning January 2023, new applicants in Ontario will only be able to apply for the Canada Greener Homes Grant through Enbridge. Until then, Ontario homeowners can continue using the Canada Greener Homes Grant portal for new and existing applications.Learn more about the initiative before you apply.
Step 5. Request and receive your grant
1. Review the results of your post-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation and confirm the grant amount
The post-retrofit evaluation will include:
- an EnerGuide home rating and a label
- an updated Homeowner Information Sheet that lists improvements to your home’s energy efficiency and its EnerGuide rating
Your energy advisor will confirm which retrofits were undertaken and provide an estimate of the grant amount you may be eligible for. The energy advisor is also required to provide you with these reports by mail or email. It can take at least 14 business days for them to reach you.
Your service organization is also required to submit your reports to the online Canada Greener Homes Grant portal. You can access your reports by logging in to the grant portal.
It can take a minimum of 30 days after your post-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation for the service organization to submit this information to the portal.
2. Upload your receipts and documents
You will be notified when the service organization has submitted all the necessary information into the portal so you can review your post-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation documents.
At this point, you will need to upload the following documents so we can verify your eligible retrofits.
- receipts for your pre- and post-retrofit EnerGuide evaluations
- all receipts and invoices, marked paid in full, for products purchased and for installation costs
You can log into the portal and submit receipts at any time.
Other recommended documents
You may upload these documents if you have them and if applicable for your retrofits:
- for grid-connected solar photovoltaic systems, a copy of the letter of approval or permission for interconnection issued by the local electrical or building authority
- It is highly recommended that you have an attestation form (if applicable for your retrofits) confirming that:
- the mechanical system has been installed by a trained and licensed professional (PDF, 116 KB)
- the ground source heat pump system was installed in accordance with CSA standards (PDF, 117 KB)
- the air source heat pump or cold climate air source heat pump system is capable of distributing heat to the entire home (PDF, 83 KB)
- For an off-grid system, you should ensure that the system was designed and installed in accordance with local building and electrical codes.
Note: Mechanical systems include ground source heat pumps, air source heat pumps, cold climate air source heat pumps, heat pump water heaters, furnaces (eligible for northern and off-grid community residents only), and boilers (eligible for northern and off-grid community residents only).
You will need to keep copies of your documents until March 31, 2028. The federal grants are not taxable and do not have to be declared as income.
Quebec and Nova Scotia: If you are looking to accelerate your grant application
If you have received an email from one of the NRCan email addresses below and want to fast-track your application, please respond and include all the following documents as soon as possible:
- your completed and signed Consent and Declaration Form
- your Renovations Upgrade Report (RUR)
- your pre- and post-retrofit evaluation energy labels
- all invoices for your measures/retrofits
Tips to submit your documents by email
- Tip #1 - Clearly present your name and application number: When submitting your documentation, indicate your name and your application number in your email’s subject line. Doing so expedites the processing of emails.
- Tip #2 - Limit your file sizes: If you are submitting multiple or large attachments (over 5 MB), we strongly recommended that you zip your documents into a single folder or submit the documents in a series of emails to avoid processing issues. If doing so, add “Email 1 of 4“ in the subject line of the email.
- Tip #3 - Check your spam folder!: If you have not received an email from us during your journey with the Canada Greener Homes Initiative, please check your spam or junk folder. If the email did end up in one of these folders, add the email to your trusted senders folder or mark the email as “not junk“. This way, our future emails will go directly to your inbox.
3. Request your grant
After you submit all your receipts and documents, you can request your grant through the online Canada Greener Homes Grant portal.
Our program officers will then review your file and documents to confirm the total amount of the grant eligible for the retrofits you have completed. If there are any outstanding documents or questions, they will contact you directly.
The review can take up to 40 business days.
The amount of your grant will depend on which retrofits were completed and the total of your qualifying expenses. In no case will the grant exceed your qualifying costs.
Safe environment for the Canada Greener Homes GrantThe Canada Greener Homes Grant operates an environment that is free from discrimination, harassment, hate and otherwise inappropriate conduct. Inappropriate language, images and other forms of communication or behaviour directed toward the program, its staff, third-party delivery partners, or participants will not be tolerated and is grounds for dismissal of the application or the applicant from the program and its benefits.
4. Confirm and receive your grant
As the final step in the process, after our officers have reviewed your file, you will be prompted to log in into the portal to confirm your grant total to receive your grant.
At this stage, your retrofit journey is complete, and your grant (a cheque) will be sent by mail. It can take up to 30 business days to process your payment, and then the cheque will be mailed to your house.
Disclaimer for banking information
We do not ask for banking information. Please call us if you have questions or concerns.
Canada Greener Homes Initiative
- Grants from $125 to $5,000 to get a part of your costs back for eligible home retrofits.
- Up to $600 as a maximum contribution towards the total costs of your pre and post retrofit EnerGuide home evaluations.
- Interest-free Loan: up to $40,000, with a repayment term of 10 years
We strive to create and maintain a service experience where everyone is treated with dignity, decency and respect. If there is an opportunity for us to improve in any of these areas, please let us know.
Monday to Friday: 8:00 am to 8:00 pm (Eastern time)
- Phone: 1-833-674-8282
- TTY: 1-800-465-7735
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 1-866-292-9517
- Email: Questions@cghli.ca
Follow @NRCan for the latest updates
- Date modified: