Language selection


Small Multi-Unit Residential Buildings (MURBs)

For the Canada Greener Homes Grant, a MURB is defined based on Part 9 of the National Building Code of Canada as having three or fewer storeys in building height, having a building area not exceeding 600 m2, and are not retirement homes. MURBs must either be stacked (up/down) or have a common area – townhomes are not MURBs.

Multi-unit residential buildings over three storeys or over 600 m2 in footprint are not eligible.

Additional eligibility criteria for MURBs

Homeowners living in a small MURB must ensure they meet all eligibility requirements for the Canada Greener Homes Grant in addition to the following requirements:

  • A single EnerGuide evaluation must be undertaken of the entire structure (or address) and not on a unit by unit basis. Homeowners within the MURB need to organize themselves (by way of condo board) in such a way that all homeowners are aware that evaluation has taken place.
  • Retrofits in a small MURB must be agreed to by the person or persons able to make decisions about the renovations to the building.
  • For small MURBs that are owned by one person and the remaining units are rented, the owner must live within the building as their primary residence. The maximum amount of incentive that can be given in this case is $5,000.
  • The small MURB must have 50% of its total area, including the basement, as a residential living space.
  • The building must be habitable all year.

Small MURBs are not eligible if the air tightness test cannot be performed during the energy evaluation of the home.

Applying for reimbursement as a small MURB

Individual home owners within the small MURB must apply for individual grants of up to $5000 based on the single EnerGuide evaluation undertaken for the entire structure.

The maximum amount that a MURB structure can receive is $20,000.

Calculating incentives

The maximum allowable amount for building envelope measures – adding insulation and/or air sealing - in small MURBs will be calculated based on the number of units within the building. The table below provides the multiplier amount.

Number of dwelling units per MURB 2–3 4–6 7–9 10–12 13–16 17+
MURB Multiplier 1.0 1.5 2.0 2.5 3.0 4.0

Small MURB scenario: A MURB with nine units wants to claim amounts for both air sealing and exposed wall insulation. The calculation would be:

(Air Sealing Maximum $1,000 x 2.0 = $2,000) + (Exposed floor - $350 x 2.0 = $700) = $2,700

Reimbursements for building envelope incentive measures must be claimed by one homeowner only and cannot be split by two homeowners. In other words, if one homeowner in a MURB only claims a portion of the measure, another home owner cannot claim the remainder.

Find out how much is available for your planned retrofits

MURBS can apply the multiplier to:

  • Home insulation
  • Air sealing
  • Windows and doors
  • Renewable energy
  • Resiliency measures

See grant table for each MURB multiplier

MURBS are not eligible for:

  • Heat pumps or domestic water heaters (including in northern and off-grid communities) as the equipment on the eligible products list are not suitable for space heating in larger buildings
  • Thermostats are not eligible for the multiplier

How can we help?

I want to:


Still can’t find what you’re looking for?

TTY: 1 800-465-7735

Monday to Friday: 8:00 am to 8:00 pm (Eastern time)

Email us about the Canada Greener Homes Grant

We strive to create and maintain a service experience where everyone is treated with dignity, decency and respect. If there is an opportunity for us to improve in any of these areas, call us.

Report a problem on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: