How to keep cool in a heatwave
Rising temperatures shouldn't mean rising bills too. Stay cool during a heatwave while keeping your energy bills low with these tips:
- Use an ENERGY STAR® certified smart thermostat. These handy devices learn what temperatures you like best and adjust them when you're asleep or away to save energy. You can also change the temperature when you're not home using your phone. (Hello smart thermostat - make my house feel like a popsicle, thanks.
- Install an ENERGY STAR certified room air conditioner – they use less energy than a standard model to save you money. And bigger is not always better, buying an air conditioner that is too large does not bring cooler air, and it wastes energy too. Check out these tips on how to properly install your new room A/C, because you don't want to end up with a piece of cardboard in your window.
- Be a fan of fans! Buy an ENERGY STAR certified ceiling fan, which uses 40% less energy than a standard model. They move more air and use less power, and you can run them in a counterclockwise direction, which pushes the cool air down creating a 'wind chill' effect. Who doesn't want a wind chill in their living room during a heatwave?
- A/C – ceiling fan combo: use your ENERGY STAR certified ceiling fan at the same time as your A/C. This will let you set your thermostat two degrees higher, which can cut your air conditioning costs by 14 percent! Teamwork!
- Replace old, hot incandescent light bulbs with much cooler ENERGY STAR certified LEDs. They also last way longer and cost less to use. Cool.
Things you can do right now!
- Use your BBQ so you don't have to turn on the oven!
- Clean the filters in your A/C so that your HVAC system is not using extra energy to cool down your house.
- Keep blinds, curtains & shades in your home closed during the day to avoid overworking your A/C.
If you have any specific cooling questions, drop us a line! firstname.lastname@example.org
- Date modified: