The SmartWay Transport Partnership is a free and voluntary program that helps businesses move goods efficiently while keeping fuel costs and environmental impact at a minimum.
Boost productivity, reduce emissions and be more competitive
SmartWay encourages best practices in freight supply chains. It helps carriers and shippers benchmark their operations, track fuel consumption and improve their overall performance.
Environmental performance is becoming more important as a business metric. To be competitive, your business must have a firm commitment to cut harmful emissions, no matter how you move your goods.
Be part of a North America-wide network of concerned professionals
More than 3,600 North American companies have signed on to the partnership, which was launched by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). SmartWay has been run in Canada by Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) since 2012. SmartWay in Canada also works with NRCan’s SmartDriver and the Green Freight Assessment Program to help carriers save fuel.
Explore new technologies that improve performance
The EPA’s SmartWay Technology Program tests the performance of technologies that can decrease the environmental impact of freight transport. Solutions include aerodynamic technologies, idle reduction systems and low rolling-resistance tires.
The program is separate from NRCan, and some of these fuel-saving technologies may not comply with Canadian regulations. Always compare products and check with provincial and territorial authorities before you buy.
Watch this video to learn about SmartWay.
Join SmartWay as a partner or an affiliate
Please visit the Join SmartWay page to see if you qualify as a partner and to register.
If you are not admissible as a partner, you might qualify as an affiliate. Please visit the SmartWay affiliates page for more details.
SmartWay and the Global Green Freight Action Plan
Canada is one of many countries developing a Global Green Freight Action Plan under the Climate and Clean Air Coalition (CCAC) and the United Nations Environment Program.
The plan encourages collaboration to make the global movement of freight more efficient in ways that reduce climate, health, energy and economic impacts.
Learn more about the Climate and Clean Air Coalition.
- Acknowledge receipt of general inquiries made to our phone number or email address before the end of the next business day.
- Reply to general inquiries made to our phone number or email address within 3 business days.
- Acknowledge receipt of SmartWay tool via e-mail before the end of the next business day.
- Review SmartWay tool and validate data within 5 business days.
- If no issues are found with the SmartWay tool, your tool is approved in the SmartWay database within 1 business day.
- If an issue is found with the SmartWay tool, you will be contacted within 1 business day with requested revisions to be completed and sent to SmartWay within 3 business days.
- Once your tool is approved in the Smartway database, you will be contacted by a SmartWay Partner Account Manager within 1 business day to confirm approval and to discuss fuel reduction strategies and areas for improvement
- A Letter to the Executive contact confirming SmartWay participation will be sent within 1 month.
- Email SmartWay
- Date modified: