Modern buildings combine a variety of sophisticated systems – from heating, ventilation and air-conditioning to water distribution. Commissioning is the ongoing process of tuning and calibrating these systems to make sure buildings are performing as efficiently as possible. Like any sophisticated system, a building must be tuned regularly to ensure optimal performance. Commissioning begins at the design stage and continues through construction and occupancy. A commissioning agent monitors building plans, tests and documents all systems, and arranges training for building occupants on proper operation and maintenance.
Commissioning is good for business
Commissioning provides annual energy savings of 10 to 15 percent on average. Other benefits include longer equipment life, lower maintenance costs, a safer and more comfortable indoor working environment, and higher property value.
Introducing the DABOTM high performance commissioning tool
DABO is a commissioning software application for fault detection and diagnosis, performance analysis and documentation.
DABO resulted in energy savings of $300,000 at the Palais des congrès de Montréal. Please refer to the DABOTM Case Study: Le Palais des congrès de Montréal (PDF, 861 KB) for more information.
Developed by CanmetENERGY at Natural Resources Canada (NRCan), DABO
- continuously collects readable data for the centralized building control system
- analyzes operational faults in electromechanical systems
- generates reports and recommends corrective measures
- schedules corrective maintenance team tasks
- delivers energy consumption reductions of 15 percent to 25 percent
- ASHRAE Guideline 0-2013: The Commissioning Process, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (2013)
- ecoENERGY Efficiency for Buildings: Building Commissioning and Recommissioning, NRCan (2012)
- Building Recommissioning for Commercial and Institutional Buildings: Opportunities for Owners and Property Investors, NRCan (2011)
- Z320-11 - Building Commissioning Standard & Check Sheets, Canadian Standards Association (2011)
- New Construction Building Commissioning Best Practices, Building Commissioning Association (2011)
- BOMA Canada Existing Building Commissioning (EBCx) for Commercial Real Estate Owners and Managers, Building Owners and Managers Association Canada (2011)
- Commissioning Guide for New Buildings, NRCan (2010)