- Energy Management Training Primer, Natural Resources Canada (2016) [PDF – 2.0 MB]
Training offered through Natural Resources Canada
- RETScreen® International: training
Natural Resources Canada provides hands-on training on the latest version of its RETScreen software, which you can use to evaluate energy efficient technologies and make the most of your investments.
- CAN-QUEST training
Natural Resources Canada has developed training materials for CAN-QUEST, which are then licensed to training organizations across Canada for use in their building design education programs. CAN-QUEST can be used to demonstrate performance path compliance with building energy codes, including the National Energy Code of Canada for Buildings 2011. The following organizations have signed CAN-QUEST training license agreements with Natural Resources Canada: British Columbia Institute of Technology (Burnaby, B.C.), Canada Green Building Council (Canada), Red River College (Winnipeg, Man.), Humber College (Toronto, Ont.), Algonquin College (Ottawa, Ont.), Cégep de Jonquière (Jonquière, Que.), Association québécoise pour la maitrîse de l’énergie (Montreal, Que.). For information on planned courses or workshops on CAN-QUEST, please contact the training organizations directly.
Other Canadian training
- Canada Green Building Council (CaGBC)
The Canada Green Building Council has developed education on a wide variety of topics through in-class workshops, e-Learning, publications and exam preparation tools. To see a list of courses on various topics including Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) exam preparation, training on green building rating systems, green procurement and green economics, visit their course catalogue.
- Building Owners and Managers Association of Canada (BOMA): Education
- e-Energy Training for Building Operations
This on-line course teaches building operators and engineers how to reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions in commercial and institutional buildings. Participants can earn competency credits towards the Energy Management and Controls course as part of the BOMI SMA/SMT program. The course also qualifies for BOMI Continuing Education Credits (18).
- BOMA BESt Learning Courses: BB 100 - BOMA BESt Overview
This course provides an introduction to BOMA BESt to help guide current and prospective applicants through the Program. They are available in both English and French and can be downloaded free of charge.
- BOMI Canada
The Building Owners and Managers Institute of Canada offers specialized courses and four designation programs: the Real Property Administrator (RPA) for property managers; the Facilities Management Administrator (FMA) for facilities professionals; the System Maintenance Technician (SMT) for systems personnel; and the Systems Maintenance Administrator (SMA) for systems supervisors.
- e-Energy Training for Building Operations
- Canadian institute for Energy Training (CIET)
CIET provides energy management training for commercial and institutional organizations in Canada and is authorized to provide AEE (Association of Energy Engineers) training and certification.
- Association québécoise pour la maîtrise de l'énergie : Centre de formation en maîtrise de l'énergie
The Association offers a number of professional certification courses including Certified Energy Manager and Certified Measurement & Verification Professional (available in French only).
- The Saskatchewan Environmental Society
The Saskatchewan Environmental Society offers a number of programs including Building Operator Training, Destination Conservation Saskatchewan, Energy Awareness Training and Energy Conservation for Non-profits.
- Building Code Training
The Saskatchewan Building Officials Association, in partnership with Southeast Regional College, has developed a 42-module home study training program for building officials and National Building Code users.
- Educational Program Innovations Centre (EPIC)
EPIC supports the development and on-the-job performance of Canadian engineers and other technical professionals through a wide range of practical courses and seminars.
- Building Environmental Systems (BES)
- Available through Seneca College (Toronto, Ontario), BES programs offer a comprehensive multi-skills training approach intended for building managers, operators and technicians. The programs are also delivered by a national network of technical colleges. Search for “Building Environmental Systems.”
- Building Energy and Resources Management (BERM)
Offered through Douglas College (New Westminster, British Columbia), BERM is a two-semester program that offers traditional energy management training (HVAC and lighting conservation, heat flow, and utility rate structures), as well as training on the principles of internal waste management programs (from paper to food), setting up transportation (carpool) programs, water conservation measures and understanding change management and greenhouse gas 'hidden' in building materials.
- British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT)
BCIT offers a range of programs, courses, and resources focused on meeting the challenge of sustainability. BCIT's Sustainable Energy Management Advanced Certificate (SEMAC) part-time studies program provides graduates with the skills and knowledge of sustainable energy management principles, approaches, techniques, and tools, in order to be able to function quickly and effectively in the position of energy manager or energy coordinator at their company, building or facility.
- Industrial & Building Energy eXpertise (IBEX)
Offered through Centennial College (Toronto, Ontario), IBEX is a self-paced, online training program in energy management that combines foundational technical knowledge with energy assessment skills and business practices.
- Canadian Standards Association's Implementing IS0 50001 Energy Management Systems provides guidance on how to implement an energy management system using ISO 50001. It will enable practitioners to build the necessary systems and processes to improve energy efficiency, help reduce consumption and associated costs, and improve overall energy performance in their organization's operations.
- International Institute for Energy Training
IIET is a specialized world-renowned organization offering a variety of trainings and certifications in the energy efficiency and renewable energy fields. IIET works in collaboration with a variety of organizations worldwide, including energy agencies, utilities and NGOs to offer such trainings and certifications to all types of stakeholders in the market.
- ENERGY STAR Training offers free online training to help you improve the energy performance of your organization.
- Green Roofs for Healthy Cities
Green Roofs for Healthy Cities offers comprehensive, multi-disciplinary courses in support of the development of the green roof and wall industry in North America.
- Date Modified: