The SmartWay Transportation Partnership is a voluntary program that encourages best practices in freight supply chains. SmartWay helps partners to:
- benchmark their operations
- track fuel consumption and improve overall performance
- attract business and differentiate their operations from competitors
By joining SmartWay, you are notifying suppliers, customers and investors that your sustainability goals include a commitment to clean freight.
Types of organizations that can become SmartWay partners
SmartWay welcomes partnerships with these transportation specialists:
- Easily compare performance of carriers and identify most fuel-efficient ones
- Get more accurate data on your carriers’ transportation emission to help you to report on your carbon emissions
- Quantify, benchmark, and track emissions across the supply chain
- Enhance your company’s image to appeal to investors and consumers.
A multimodal carrier is a company that:
- operates its own private truck fleet combined with one or more of the following; a rail company, a barge company or a logistics brokerage; and also
- operates its own private truck fleet with:
- at least 5% of its freight shipping contracted with truck and/or logistics companies; or
- at least 10% of its freight shipping contracted with rail, air, and/or barge companies
Marine carriers that manage river and open-water barge operations are eligible to become SmartWay Partners.
SmartWay affiliates and community members
If you’re not a shipper, logistics firm or carrier, you may still qualify as a SmartWay affiliate.
Joining SmartWay is free and simple
Follow these steps to become a SmartWay partner:
- Select and review the user guide that will help you complete the tool that applies to your operation.
- Select and complete your tool by providing information about your operation.
- Email your completed tool to NRCan for approval.
NRCan will contact you to confirm your partnership in the program.
Learn the benefits of SmartWay for shippers and logistics firms – Video
Learn more about SmartWay with insights from industry professionals on the value of joining this well-established North American transportation initiative.
Truck carriers choose the SmartWay Transportation Partnership – Video
Learn how SmartWay has helped the transportation industry save billions of dollars in operational costs and make significant reductions in harmful emissions.
Do you have questions about joining SmartWay?
- Call 1-855-322-1564
- Email SmartWay