Fuels and Emissions Assessment
Assessing, quantifying, and characterizing fuels and emissions is an important way to ensure safe and reliable utilization of fuels, reduce emissions, and enhance energy efficiency. Fuels and emissions assessment also provides important data for the development of advanced clean energy technologies. In addition, when researchers discover the environmental and health effects of a particular fuel or emission, this can provide justification for environmental - and health-related judicial and regulatory matters, and support the development and harmonization of national and international standards for fuel specifications and emission measurement.
At CanmetENERGY, we assist Canadian industry in the key areas of combustion technology development to support the advancement of new opportunity fuels; improve plant energy efficiency, fuel quality and combustion performance; ensure regulatory compliance; perform emissions assessment; and evalute technology for the commercialization of new petroleum products. Oil sands bitumen combustion and fine particulate emissions research are two of our key areas of expertise.
The combustion units available to our research scientists at our world-class facilities assess a variety of fuels, including petroleum distillate and residual fuel oils, biofuels, bio-oils, natural gas, oil sand bitumen and bitumen emulsions, heavy oil emulsions, and pulverized coal. Our research fosters important technology transfer applications of fuels and emissions assessment. These include:
- Combustion technology development for renewable and unconventional fuels
- Evaluation of combustion and emission performance of commercial fuels
- Optimization of commercial fuel oils based on property/performance evaluations
- Third-party scientific evaluation for dispute resolution of litigation cases and expert witness documents
- Cold temperature performance evaluation
- Assessment of fuel handling properties
- Performance evaluation of burner and appliances
- Fine particulate sampling
- Fuel sulphur effects studies
- Evaluation of flame characteristics and heat transfer characteristics
- Slagging and fouling studies for coal blends
For further information about our work in fuels and emissions assessment technologies, visit our publications section.
- Date modified: