EIPD was established in 2001 to:
- Formulate policies and provide advice, briefings and recommendations to the Minister on the protection of Canada's critical energy infrastructure and emergency preparedness.
- Promote initiatives to strengthen the protection of Canada's critical energy infrastructure through close liaison with federal and provincial governments, regulatory agencies, energy industry and associations.
- Provide expert advice and direct program support on energy sector issues to Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada (PSEPC) in formulating and delivering the National Critical Infrastructure Assurance Strategy and Program.
- Liaise with the energy industry in Canada and provide leadership in sharing of information and promoting best practices.
- Consult key stakeholders on the development and implementation of policy initiatives related to critical infrastructure protection and emergency preparedness.
- Co-ordinate emergency preparedness and business continuity planning for the Energy Policy Sector and the Energy Technology and Programs Sector of Natural Resources Canada.
- Work with the U.S. and Mexico on North American security initiatives under the Security and Prosperity Partnership and other areas of mutual interest related to critical energy infrastructure protection and emergency preparedness.
- Act as the single window to GOC on all critical energy infrastructure issues.