To administer the Nuclear Fuel Waste Act making sure that the nuclear industry fulfills all of its responsibilities under the Act, including fully meeting all financial requirements, and that it carries out approved long-term nuclear fuel waste management activities within a comprehensive, integrated and economically sound approach for Canada.
The Bureau's mandate is to support the Minister of Natural Resources in discharging his responsibilities under the Nuclear Fuel Waste Act, by overseeing, monitoring, reviewing, commenting and approving or having approved by the Governor in Council long-term nuclear fuel waste management activities. In carrying out these tasks, we intend to:
- meet on a regular basis with stakeholders, including the nuclear utilities, the Nuclear Waste Management Organization, and AECL;
- carry out appropriate and effective auditing programs;
- provide oversight based on current knowledge, appropriate expertise, and a pool of information on national and international developments;
- interact with Aboriginal groups to ensure that the Government of Canada's fiduciary responsibilities are met; and,
- inform and consult the general public on an ongoing basis through various communication means including a web site.
These tasks will be carried out in an open and transparent way aiming to enhance the participation of interested stakeholders in decision-making processes and contribute to public confidence.