Buy ENERGY STAR® to save you money!
An ENERGY STAR certified room air conditioner (A/C) uses 10% less energy, on average, than a standard model. Saving energy saves money and reduces your carbon footprint.
- Better materials and clearer instructions to improve sealing and insulation around the unit, so costly and uncomfortable air leaks are minimized.
- Some models offer Wi-Fi enabled smart functionality, which allows you to control your unit from a connected device such as a mobile phone or tablet.
Start your research using the ENERGY STAR Product Finder tool to find and compare certified room air conditioners. (NOTE: you will be redirected to the US ENERGY STAR website.
- Remember that bigger is not always better! Buying an air conditioner that is too large does not provide better cooling. An oversized air conditioner is actually less effective — and wastes energy at the same time. Make sure your unit is properly sized.
- Installation tips, a good fit improves performance.
- Learn more in our booklet, Air Conditioning Your Home
What’s in a label?
Room air conditioners in Canada can have two labels:
- The ENERGY STAR symbol means the model is highly energy efficient.
- The EnerGuide label shows the model’s energy consumption and how it compares to similar models. Learn more about EnerGuide labels for room air conditioners.
The ENERGY STAR Promise
All ENERGY STAR certified products are tested to meet strict efficiency specifications and are certified by an independent third party. They perform the same as or better than standard products without compromising performance in any way.
Regulations set the energy efficiency minimum
Room, central and large commercial air conditioners are subject to Canada's Energy Efficiency Regulations, which set a minimum performance standard for their energy efficiency. Find details in the Guide to the Regulations.
The ENERGY STAR name and symbol are trademarks registered in Canada by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and are administered and promoted by Natural Resources Canada.
- Date Modified: