Room air conditioners – infographic
View or share this convenient graphic.
For more information on room air conditioners see our product profile.
The cool choice for room air conditioners (AC).
When the weather warms up, make the cool choice of a new ENERGY STAR® certified room air conditioner.
Size your AC for Comfort and Savings.
Bigger is not always better! An oversized unit will cool the room, but only remove some of the humidity. This will leave the room with a damp, clammy feeling. A properly sized unit will deliver maximum comfort and savings. Use this chart as your guide.
- If the room is heavily shaded, reduce capacity by 10%.
- If the room is sunny, increase capacity by 10%
- If the room is a kitchen, increase capacity by 4000 BTUs.
Area to be cooled Capacity needed Square feet Square meters BTUs per hour 100-150 9-14 5,000 150-250 14-23 6,000 250-300 23-28 7,000 300-350 28-33 8,000 350-400 33-38 9,000 400-450 38-41 10,000 450-500 41-46 12,000 500-550 46-51 14,000 550-700 51-65 18,000 1000-1200 93-111 21,000 1200-1400 111-130 23,000 1400-1500 130-139 24,000 1500-2000 139-186 30,000
Proper AC installation and use is the key to cool.
An improperly installed room air conditioner leaks as much air as a 6-square-inch hole (15 cm2), increasing energy costs and making your home less comfortable.
Follow these A.C. tips to beat the heat:
- Be sure to follow the instructions and use the insulation materials included with your room air conditioner.
- Make sure the unit is level so the drainage system works effectively.
- Don't put lamps or TVs near the A.C. thermostat as the extra heat will cause it to run longer.
- Set the thermostat as high as is comfortable, typically 25°C. You'll appreciate the savings.
- On humid days, set the fan speed low. Slower air movement removes more moisture.
- Use an extra fan to spread the cooled air around.
- At the end of the cooling season, if possible, remove the room A.C. unit to minimize heat loss. Or use an appropriately-sized cover during winter.
An ENERGY STAR certified room AC is the simple choice to save energy, save money, and protect the climate.
ENERGY STAR room air conditioners use 10% less energy.
ENERGY STAR room air conditioners come with higher quality insulation, improving comfort and savings by creating a better seal with the window opening.
ENERGY STAR room air conditioners that feature smart functionality offer greater control over comfort and energy savings-turn off the unit remotely, schedule temperature settings, and receive updates on energy usage
- Date modified: