Buy ENERGY STAR® to save you money!
ENERGY STAR certified VoIP phones (also known as “Internet phones”) use up to 40% less energy than a standard VoIP phone and can power down at night. Saving energy saves money and reduces your carbon footprint.
- Energy saving mode allows the phone to power down and enter into ‘off’ mode at designated times or during periods of inactivity to save you even more on your utility bills!
- Have a wide variety of features, including: a keypad for dialing, an LCD display screen, multiple programmable feature keys, ports for network and/or computer connections, multiple language support, built-in headset jack, personalised ring tones, and data encryption.
Start your research using the ENERGY STAR Product Finder tool to find and compare certified phones (NOTE: you will be redirected to the US ENERGY STAR website. Click ‘VoIP’ under ‘Product Type’ when searching.)
- Make sure your service provider is compatible with your phone system.
- Do you need a data switch port? If your computer and VoIP phone need to share a single Ethernet connection, then you will need duel RJ45 Ethernet ports.
- Decide what features and functions you need in your phone before buying.
- If you will be using “Power over Ethernet” you will need a VoIP phone that supports that technology.
What is a VoIP phone?
VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) phones convert speech to a digital signal, allowing you to make calls using the internet.
There are three ways to make a call using VoIP: using a VoIP phone, using an adapter, or using a computer with speakers and a microphone.
Types of ENERGY STAR certified VoIP phones:
- Hardware or desktop corded telephone – hardware VoIP phones look like conventional phones with a handset. They connect to the network using their own Ethernet connection and do not need a computer to function.
- Wireless – consists of a handset, cradle and battery with built in Wi-Fi that allow units to connect to a wireless network in home or office. They have a longer range than traditional cordless phones, but less than cellular phones as they rely on wireless routers or access points to make calls.
- Conference – a VoIP without a handset that uses a speakerphone for all communications and is mainly used for conference calls.
The ENERGY STAR Promise
All ENERGY STAR certified products are tested to meet strict efficiency specifications and are certified by an independent third party. They perform the same as or better than standard products without compromising performance in any way.
The ENERGY STAR name and symbol are trademarks registered in Canada by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and are administered and promoted by Natural Resources Canada.