Buy ENERGY STAR® to save you money!
An ENERGY STAR certified streaming media player is 44% more efficient than a standard model! Saving energy saves money and reduces your carbon footprint.
Many Canadians are now streaming their video content using streaming media devices (also known as digital media players) instead of using cable or satellite services to watch television. According to a 2017 report by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, almost 60% of Canadians stream television programs online. Streaming media players are inexpensive, easy to use, and quick to install.
- Are the most efficient device to stream content to your TV.
- Use 4 times less energy than a traditional cable/satellite set-top box
- Use 11 times less energy than a computer to stream
- Use 15 times less energy than a game console
Start your research using the ENERGY STAR Product Finder tool to find and compare certified streaming media players (NOTE: you will be redirected to the ‘Set-Top Boxes’ product finder on the US ENERGY STAR website).
More streaming tips
- Smart TVs are the smart choice: If you are buying a new television a Smart TV uses the least amount of energy compared to other streaming devices.
- Game consoles for gaming: A game console uses 15 times more energy than a digital media player so use you game console for gaming only and leave the streaming to other devices.
- ENERGY STAR certified products that enable streaming — tablets, laptop computers, desktop computers, digital media players, modems, routers, set top boxes, or televisions — use 25 percent less energy on average.
The ENERGY STAR Promise
All ENERGY STAR certified products are tested to meet strict efficiency specifications and are certified by an independent third party. They perform the same as or better than standard products without compromising performance in any way.
The ENERGY STAR name and symbol are trademarks registered in Canada by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and are administered and promoted by Natural Resources Canada.
- Date Modified: