Buy ENERGY STAR® to save you money!
Even though windows, doors and skylights do not consume energy, they can be a significant source of energy loss. If you’re in the market for windows, choosing ENERGY STAR certified models can save you an average of 8% on your energy bills as compared to a standard window. And windows that qualify for the ENERGY STAR Most Efficient designation are up to 40% more efficient than a standard window.
ENERGY STAR certified doors and skylights are also available to complement certified windows and add to your energy savings. Saving energy saves money and reduces your carbon footprint.
- Special coatings (known as low emissivity coatings, or “low-e glass”) and insulated frames and sashes mean your window will be more comfortable to sit beside and there will be reduced condensation on the glass.
- Available triple glazing for better exterior noise reduction and even more energy savings.
- Special inert gases between the glass panes rather than just air for better insulation.
- A label to indicate which of the three Canadian climate zones the windows are meant for.
Start your research using the searchable product lists:
- Know your climate zone and ask for products that are certified for it. Save even more on energy costs by buying a product certified for a colder zone than where you live.
- Make sure that your quotation or invoice actually says ENERGY STAR on it and lists which of the 3 Canadian climate zones the product is certified for.
- Hire a professional to install your windows, doors or skylights – trained installers ensure your windows, doors or skylights will perform their best.
- On the eastern and northern sides of your house, install windows with higher insulation values to reduce heat loss.
- Educate yourself. Learn more about factors affecting energy efficiency here, including radiation, conduction, convection and air leakage.
What’s in a label?
The windows, doors and skylights label in Canada has the following components:
- The ENERGY STAR symbol means the model is highly energy efficient.
- The ENERGY STAR Climate Zone(s) map or indicator shows you the areas in Canada that the window, door or skylight is certified for.
- Certified energy performance values as verified by a certification body.
The ENERGY STAR Promise
All ENERGY STAR certified products are tested to meet strict efficiency specifications and are certified by an independent third party. They perform the same as or better than standard products without compromising performance in any way.
The ENERGY STAR name and symbol are trademarks registered in Canada by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and are administered and promoted by Natural Resources Canada.
- Date Modified: