Looking for a water-saving pre-rinse spray valve?
Pre-rinse spray valves (PRSV) can account for nearly 1/3 of the water used in the typical commercial kitchen. These devices are used to rinse dishes prior to dishwashing and are installed in nearly every commercial kitchen. They are not a user of direct energy, but they do control the amount of hot water used in the pre-rinse stage. Low-flow PSRVs consume substantially less water and energy than standard models.
Opting for increased efficiency
- Pre-rinse spray valves (link to the Canada Gazette, Division 13) are included in Amendment 14 to Canada’s Energy Efficiency Regulations that will come into effect on April 30, 2019.
- Standard PSRVs have flow rates of a maximum of 6.1 litres per minute (Lpm) for models manufactured on or after June 27, 2016 and before January 28, 2019, and for PSRVs models manufactured on or after January 28, 2019 the maximum water flow rate are between 3.79 Lpm and 4.85 Lpm depending on spray force.
- High-velocity spray pattern models have substantially better cleaning performance. Look for a PRSV rated to clean at a rate of 26 seconds per plate or less.
- Look for models that can be disassembled and clean the spray head regularly by removing scale build-up to keep PSRVs working at maximum efficiency.
- Replace badly clogged spray heads. Resist the temptation to “drill out” the scale from clogged spray heads; this will affect spray velocity and reduce cleaning efficiency.
- Double the savings when opting for ENERGY STAR certified commercial dishwashers and water heaters!
Saving even more money and water
Did you know the WaterSense program from the United States Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) certifies low-flow PSRVs to be at least 20% more efficient than the U.S. federal standard, which is now the same as the Canadian standard?
- WaterSense labeled models must undergo independent spray force and lifecycle testing to ensure performance in commercial kitchens.
- WaterSense certified PSRVs models are available in Canada and their costs are comparable to that of standard models.
- Facilities can expect a payback on their investment within the first year or less.