Buy ENERGY STAR® certified heating equipment to save you money!
Canada's cold climate means that space heating accounts for a remarkable 61% of the energy used in the average Canadian home. No wonder you should look to heating to find energy savings opportunities!
It’s important to remember the cost of energy to operate a product over its lifetime is just as important as its purchase price. For heating equipment, operating costs are calculated by factoring in how many days during the year you need to heat, the fuel type and price, and equipment efficiency.
Make the switch to ENERGY STAR certified equipment to cut your utility bill and reduce your carbon footprint.
For information on Energy Sources, check out our Energy sources page.
ENERGY STAR certified heating equipment
The following ENERGY STAR certified products are available in Canada.
- Boilers—gas and oil
- Connected or “smart” thermostats
- Furnaces—gas and oil
- Heat pumps
Find certified products using the ENERGY STAR Product Finder. (Note: you will be redirected to the U.S. ENERGY STAR website. Click “Canada” as your market).
Regulated heating equipment for residential use NOT eligible for ENERGY STAR
- When buying a new home heating system or components, you should always get at least 3 separate quotes and ask your contractor to calculate the heat requirements for your home to make sure your furnace is sized properly.
- Have your heating system serviced annually. The best time to service your unit is at the end of the summer, prior to the start of the next heating season.
- Clean or replace filters regularly (look at your owner’s manual for the most precise information).
- Visit the individual product pages above for more helpful tips.
- See our list of ENERGY STAR participating manufacturers and retailers.
Tools to find energy efficient heating equipment
- The easiest way to identify efficient heating equipment is to look for the ENERGY STAR symbol. All ENERGY STAR certified products are tested to meet strict efficiency standards and are certified by an independent third party. They perform the same as or better than standard products without compromising performance in any way.
- The “ENERGY STAR Most Efficient” designation is offered each year to products that are “the best of the best” – the top energy performers in their class. Learn more about ENERGY STAR Most Efficient.
- Use the voluntary EnerGuide label on some heating equipment’s literature to compare a model’s energy consumption to similar models. Learn more about EnerGuide labels.
- Many types of heating equipment must meet minimum energy efficiency standards as regulated under Canada’s Energy Efficiency Regulations. The Regulations help eliminate the least efficient products from the Canadian market.
Heating equipment for commercial use
Always consider energy efficiency, even when buying heating and cooling equipment for commercial use that are either regulated or eligible for ENERGY STAR certification in Canada: commercial boilers; large air conditioners and heat pumps, gas water heaters, internal water loop heat pump; commercial gas unit heaters.
The ENERGY STAR name and symbol are trademarks registered in Canada by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and are administered and promoted by Natural Resources Canada.