Buy ENERGY STAR® to save you money!
An ENERGY STAR certified commercial boiler uses 15 percent less energy, on average, than a standard model. Space heating represents 45 percent and water heating 9 percent of the energy used in commercial and institutional operations in Canada. This means that choosing an ENERGY STAR certified commercial boiler offers great potential for cutting your energy bill and reducing your carbon footprint.
ENERGY STAR certified commercial boilers have an input rating of 300,000 Btu/hr or more. (For a boiler smaller than 300,000 Btu/hr, please visit our residential boilers page.) (NOTE: you will be redirected to the U.S. ENERGY STAR website.)
Start your research using the product list to find and compare ENERGY STAR certified commercial boilers.
- Fan-assisted combustion technology eliminates the need for dilution air and improves the mixing of fuel, resulting in less excess air and improved efficiency.
- Motorized dampers prevent heat escaping up the chimney by automatically closing the boiler flue when the unit idles.
- Electric ignitions eliminate the need for the wasteful, fuel-powered pilot flames used by older boilers.
- Sealed combustion technology ensures that the air required for combustion and dilution comes from the outside, not the heated indoor space.
- There are several maintenance and diagnostic procedures to maintain efficient boiler operation. Check the manufacturer’s maintenance and operation manuals for more details.
- Monitoring flue gas temperature can be useful in detecting efficiency and operation problems.
- Maintaining steady excess air levels (with an oxygen trim sensor) ensures that burners will mix air and fuel properly.
- Insulate the hot water pipes.
- Pulse combustion technology creates rapid combustion pulses inside the boiler’s combustion chamber. The result is more efficient heat transfer inside the heat exchanger.
- For more information, check out our Buying and operating tips page.
- Find information on other commercial/industrial equipment on our web site.
The ENERGY STAR Promise
All ENERGY STAR certified products are tested to meet strict efficiency specifications and are certified by an independent third party. They perform the same as or better than standard products without compromising performance in any way.
The ENERGY STAR name and symbol are trademarks registered in Canada by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and are administered and promoted by Natural Resources Canada.