Buy ENERGY STAR® to save you money!
ENERGY STAR certified light fixtures (technically called “luminaires”) use a remarkable 90% less energy, on average, than light fixtures with traditional incandescent bulbs. Saving energy saves money and reduces your carbon footprint.
- Distribute light more efficiently and evenly.
- Functional and stylish too - hundreds of decorative styles including both portable fixtures (e.g. table, desk and floor lamps) and hard-wired fixtures (e.g. front porch, dining room, kitchen ceiling and under-cabinet, hallway ceiling and wall, bathroom vanity fixtures).
- Convenient features such as dimming on some indoor models and automatic daylight shut-off and motion sensors on outdoor models.
Start your research using the ENERGY STAR Product Finder tool to find and compare certified light fixtures. (NOTE: you will be redirected to the US ENERGY STAR website.)
- Set the mood - use dimmer switches to reduce light levels at different times of the day and increase energy savings.
- Make sure you have a compatible dimmer switch if you want to dim your lights. Fixture manufacturers can provide a list of approved dimmers switches.
- Make sure you like the color of the light; there are lots of options. Lower Kelvins give warm light; higher Kelvins give whiter light.
The ENERGY STAR Promise
All ENERGY STAR certified products are tested to meet strict efficiency specifications and are certified by an independent third party. They perform the same as or better than standard products without compromising performance in any way.
Regulations set the energy efficiency minimum
Floor lamps (“torchieres”) and ceiling fans with integrated lights are subject to Canada's Energy Efficiency Regulations, which set a minimum performance standard for their energy efficiency. Find details in the Guide to the Regulations.
The ENERGY STAR name and symbol are administered and promoted in Canada by Natural Resources Canada and are registered in Canada by the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
- Date Modified: