Buy ENERGY STAR® to save you money!
ENERGY STAR certified laboratory grade refrigerators (more commonly known as lab fridges) and freezers use less energy than standard models. Saving energy saves precious research dollars and reduces your lab’s carbon footprint.
Lab fridges and freezers are used for storing non-volatile reagents and biological specimens in laboratory settings; including hospitals, clinics, university and government research laboratories, and pharmaceutical manufacturing plants. They are designed to contain chemicals or biological specimens at stable, low temperatures.
ENERGY STAR certified models are available across a range of product types and sizes, allowing purchasers to find correctly-sized products with the appropriate features for their sample needs.
Purchasing ENERGY STAR certified laboratory-grade equipment will help reduce energy bills, while ensuring the safe storage of a variety of chemicals and specimens.
- Auto-off lighting combined with the use of LED lights
- Energy efficient low-emissivity glass
- Efficient cooling compressors
- Advanced microprocessor temperature control and defrost sensors
- Efficient high-capacity air circulation systems
- Hot gas defrost solutions
- Innovative refrigerants
Start your research using the ENERGY STAR Product Finder tool to find and compare certified lab fridges and freezers. (Note: you will be redirected to the US ENERGY STAR website.)
While lab fridges and freezers come in a variety of shapes and sizes, you may wish to consider the following before you buy:
- Size—balance available lab space with capacity required.
- Temperature—knowing how your lab fridge or freezer is used will provide a clear idea of what temperature range is needed.
- Cost—keep in mind the “second cost” or the cost of the energy your equipment uses when comparing initial purchase price.
- Energy efficiency—keeping air in a space artificially cold takes some serious energy, especially when you need extremely low-temperature freezers. ENERGY STAR certified models are tested to use the least amount of energy, saving you money.
- Special features—other options are available, including external digital thermometers, locks, glass doors and temperature alarms.
The ENERGY STAR Promise
All ENERGY STAR certified products are tested to meet strict efficiency specifications and are certified by an independent third party. They perform the same as or better than standard products without compromising performance in any way.
The ENERGY STAR name and symbol are administered and promoted in Canada by Natural Resources Canada and are registered in Canada by the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
- Date Modified: