Buy an ENERGY STAR® certified water heater to save you money!
Canadians use an average of 75 Litres of hot water each at home every day—for washing dishes and clothing, cleaning and showering or bathing. Water heaters account for 19% of the energy used in the average Canadian home, and 8% of the energy used in the average commercial or institutional setting.
It’s important to remember the cost of energy to operate a product over its lifetime is just as important as its purchase price. For water heaters, the operating costs are calculated by factoring in the size and type of unit, the energy source, and the equipment’s energy efficiency.
Make the switch to an ENERGY STAR certified water heater to cut your electricity bill and reduce your carbon footprint.
ENERGY STAR certified water heaters
The following ENERGY STAR certified products are available in Canada.
- Heat pump water heaters
- Solar water heaters
- Storage tank water heaters, gas
- Tankless water heaters
- Commercial gas water heaters—storage or tankless (“instantaneous”)
Find certified products using the ENERGY STAR Product Finder. (Note: you will be redirected to the US ENERGY STAR website. Click “Canada” as your market). With so many technologies to choose from, you are bound to find an efficient model to fit your needs.
Regulated heating equipment NOT eligible for ENERGY STAR
- Electric or oil-fired storage tank water heaters
Related products, NOT eligible for ENERGY STAR
- Evaluate the water heater’s energy performance before buying. Gas- and oil-fired water heaters (tanked and tankless) use “energy factor” or EF. The higher the EF, the higher the efficiency.
- Buy the right size. Consult with an experienced plumber to estimate the hot water demands in your home, and be sure to hire a licensed professional to install a new one.
- Think about how you and your family uses hot water and take steps to reduce your consumption.
- Visit the individual product pages above for more helpful tips.
- See information on a combined space and water heater.
- For further information on improving energy efficiency at home or work, visit our energy efficiency library.
- See our list of ENERGY STAR participating manufacturers and retailers.
Tools to find energy efficient water heaters
- The easiest way to identify an efficient water heater is to look for the ENERGY STAR symbol. All ENERGY STAR certified products are tested to strict efficiency standards and are certified by an independent third party. They perform the same as or better than standard products without compromising performance in any way.
- Use the voluntary EnerGuide label on some water heaters to compare a model’s energy consumption to similar models. Learn more about EnerGuide labels.
- Electric, gas or oil-fired storage tank water heaters must meet minimum energy efficiency standards as regulated under Canada’s Energy Efficiency Regulations. The Regulations help eliminate the least efficient products from the Canadian market.
The ENERGY STAR name and symbol are trademarks registered in Canada by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and are administered and promoted by Natural Resources Canada.
- Date Modified: