Buy ENERGY STAR® to save you money!
An ENERGY STAR certified storage tank water heater uses 14% less energy, on average, than a standard model. Saving energy saves money and reduces your carbon footprint.
- Improved tank insulation to minimize heat loss.
- More efficient heat exchangers that transfer more heat from the energy source to the water.
- Built-in heat traps that reduce heat loss from pipes and tanks.
- Cold-water inlet pipes located on the bottoms of tanks to improve heating efficiency.
- Gas-fired models are particularly energy efficient when equipped with features like: electronic ignition (which replaces a continuous burning pilot light), condensing heat exchangers (for higher overall efficiency), improved control over flue baffles and dampers (reducing heat loss through vents), and powered venting.
Start your research using the ENERGY STAR Product Finder tool to find and compare certified water heaters. Only gas-fired storage tank water heaters can qualify for ENERGY STAR (NOTE: you will be redirected to the US ENERGY STAR website. Make sure to click “Gas Storage” under “Type” when searching.)
- Insulating the hot and cold water pipes within 2 to 3 metres of the water heater is the most cost effective improvement that can be made to existing or new installations.
- Think about how you and your family uses hot water and take steps to reduce your consumption.
- Learn more in our booklet Water Heater Guide.[PDF - 2.8 MB]
What’s in a label?
Storage tank water heaters in Canada can have two labels:
- The ENERGY STAR symbol means the model is highly energy efficient.
- The voluntary EnerGuide label shows the model’s energy consumption and how it compares to similar models. Learn more about EnerGuide labels.
The ENERGY STAR Promise
All ENERGY STAR certified products are tested to meet strict efficiency specifications and are certified by an independent third party. They perform the same as or better than standard products without compromising performance in any way.
Regulations set the energy efficiency minimum
Water heaters are subject to Canada's Energy Efficiency Regulations, which set a minimum performance standard for their energy efficiency. Find details in the Guide to the Regulations.
The ENERGY STAR name and symbol are trademarks registered in Canada by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and are administered and promoted by Natural Resources Canada.
- Date Modified: