Language selection


Office of Energy Efficiency

October 2001


Reminder from Natural Resources Canada

Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) wishes to remind dealers that under Canada's Energy Efficiency Regulations, they are required to provide specific information when importing regulated energy-using products into Canada.

A review of import information received from the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (CCRA) indicates that the required information is not being provided in many instances.

Importing Requirements

The following information must be indicated on customs documentation (e.g. customs invoice) or as data elements when using electronic transmissions to the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (CCRA):

  1. name of the product (e.g. fluorescent lamp, incandescent reflector lamp);
  2. model number of the product (for motors, the "unique motor identifier" or UMI is required);
    NOTE: the model number must be the same model number that appears on the energy efficiency report (refer to Web site below for details on energy efficiency reports.)
  3. brand, if any, of the product;
  4. address of the dealer; and
  5. the purpose of the importation.

Please ensure that personnel or suppliers who prepare the import documents are aware of these requirements.

To facilitate imports of regulated products, dealers must provide an extra copy of the customs document containing the required information (e.g. invoice) to the CCRA at the time of importation, or provide the required information electronically as data elements. NRCan will continue to monitor compliance with import requirements.

Useful Resources

NRCan Contact

Kelly-Ann Chisholm
Compliance Officer
Office of Energy Efficiency / NRCan
Telephone: (613) 947-7352
Facsimile: (613) 947-5286
E-mail: kchishol{AT}

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: