Best Practices - High Explosives Magazine
- Store only explosives that are COMPATIBLE within a magazine. Under no circumstance should initiating systems be stored with other explosives.
- Keep the INTERIOR of magazine clean, tidy and free of grit.
- Do not keep OPEN BOXES, open containers, loose explosives or loose spools in the magazine.
- Do not pile cases or containers higher than the STACKING LINE. When required, ensure bullet-resistant material is maintained at least 15 cm above the stacking line.
- Use only approved TOOLS and equipment around explosives and ensure that explosives are protected from impact and rough handling.
- Keep STOCK FRESH. Ensure that the oldest stock is issued first and that deteriorated, time-expired, unsafe and unwanted explosives are disposed of in a safe manner. Inspect all returns immediately to ensure that they are in a safe condition for storage.
- Maintain adequate VENTILATION and prevent the entry of moisture in the form of rain, snow or ice. Keep explosive stacks away from ventilation hoods to allow air circulation.
- Promptly carry out any necessary REPAIRS to the magazine. Before undertaking major repairs, ensure that all explosives are removed to a safe and secure location and that the magazine is decontaminated as necessary.
- Do not SMOKE in or around the magazine, and do not take into the magazine any matches, lighters, flammable materials or any article that could spontaneously ignite.
- Use only approved portable ELECTRICAL DEVICES (lights, calculators and bar code readers) inside the magazine.
- Keep wireless COMMUNICATION DEVICES with transmission capabilities enabled OUTSIDE a magazine containing electrically initiated devices. A good practice is to leave such items in the vehicle.
- Clear the GROUND and keep it free from long grass, brush, readily combustible or flammable materials and debris.
- Ensure that CASES / packages / containers not being used are empty and disposed of.
- Ensure that required warning SIGNS are posted and maintained.
- Do not allow loaded FIREARMS in or near the magazine.
- Maintain an accurate and up-to-date INVENTORY of the contents of the magazine.
- Ensure that all cases (inner and outer) are marked with your LICENCE NUMBER.
- Issue explosives only to authorized PERSONS.
- Before leaving, ensure the magazine is securely LOCKED.
- Ensure that only authorized persons have access to the KEYS.
- At the approach of a THUNDERSTORM, close the magazine and evacuate all persons from the area for the duration of the storm.
- Do not load any VEHICLE that does not conform to the Explosives Regulations, 2013 and the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations.
- REPORT immediately any fire, accident, break-in, attempted break-in, theft or other incident to the Chief Inspector of Explosives and the local police.
Chief Inspector of Explosives
Explosives Regulatory Division
- Date modified: