About Canada Lands
text version - About Canada Lands
An image of a map of Canada showing Territorial lands, Offshore areas, National Parks, Indian reserves, Surveyor General office locations, Provincial and Territorial boundaries the International boundary and the 200 mile limit.
Canada Lands include the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut; over 2600 Indian Reserves; Canada's National and Historic Parks; and Canada's offshore area.
As defined in Section 24 of the Canada Lands Surveys Act, Canada Lands are:
- (a) any lands belonging to Her Majesty in right of Canada or of which the Government of Canada has power to dispose that are situated in Yukon, the Northwest Territories or Nunavut and any lands that are
- surrendered lands or a reserve, as those expressions are defined in the Indian Act, other than reserve lands described in regulations made under section 4.1 of the First Nations Commercial and Industrial Development Act,
- Category IA land or Category IA-N land, as defined in the Cree-Naskapi (of Quebec) Act, chapter 18 of the Statutes of Canada, 1984,
- Sechelt lands, as defined in the Sechelt Indian Band Self-Government Act, chapter 27 of the Statutes of Canada, 1986,
- settlement land, as defined in the Yukon First Nations Self-Government Act, and lands in which an interest is transferred or recognized under section 21 of that Act,
- lands in the Kanesatake Mohawk interim land base, as defined in the Kanesatake Interim Land Base Governance Act, other than the lands known as Doncaster Reserve No. 17, or
- Tlicho lands, as defined in section 2 of the Mackenzie Valley Resource Management Act; and
- (a.1) any lands belonging to Her Majesty in right of Canada or of which the Government of Canada has power to dispose that are situated in any National Park of Canada or in the Rouge National Urban Park established by the Rouge National Urban Park Act; and
- any lands under water belonging to Her Majesty in right of Canada or in respect of any rights in which the Government of Canada has power to dispose.
- Date modified: